Fat Transfer Under Eye a Year Ago and It's Hurting?

I had under eye surgery a year ago. He injected fat under my eyes to prevent the hollow look. My left side healed nice and no problems but my right side has been hurting and I also have some lumps. I feel exactly where the fat is. I don't feel that at all in my left side. I can press on it and it doesn't hurt. But my right side is painful to the touch and like I said I have lumps. Is this normal after a year of surgery??? Thank you!

Fat transfer to eyes

+1

Dear Val08,

• If there is a lump after one year, then you should get it dissolved with an injection or possibly removing it under local anesthetic
  • You should visit your surgeon with your concerns and if they are not addressed, then seek out a second opinion
  • You should not have a painful nodule after a year, rest assured that your body is telling you to go get it checked out

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Fat transfer/graft lumpiness

+1

Healing after fat transfer should be easy. Most patients don't have pain few days after surgery. Certainly, having pain one year after fat transfer is abnormal. Lumpiness is more common and that relates to superficial and localized fat injection. There are various treatment options available to improve fat transfer lumpiness. See an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fat lumpiness

+1

An exam is necessary to really find out what the problem is. Lumpy fat and tender areas can sometimes be improved with injection of steroids and or 5 FU. Surgical excision may be required too.

You need an in person evaluation, however. Find a surgeon with good fat transfer experience.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Painful Lumps after Fat Transfer

+1

The painful lumps are likely areas of fat necrosis, which can probably be removed from an eyelid incision.  This should help with the pain on palpation.  An exam would be necessary for confirmation.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA