Fat Transfer for Compound Fracture Scar?

I have a compound fracture scar to the inner part of my lower right leg from an accident which occurred when I was 11 (I am 28 years old). I've been able to see a plastic surgeon who advised me that he can take some fat from my stomach and put this into the indented area of the scar. However, he said that there was a risk that the fat could seep through the scar tissue and cause an ulcer (20% chance). I wonder what your views are on this and whether you have performed this procedure yourself and its success rate.

Fat Transfer for Scar Tissue

+1

Fat transfer can effectively replace needed volume on the face, body, and along areas of scar tissue. The recipient site vascularity plays a large role in fat grafting and scar tissue has impaired vascularity. Fat grafting will be effective in this area but may require several sessions.

Fat grafting may be a good option to correct your scar deformity

+1

The scar deformity has two components:

1-The loss of volume from the area after orthopaedic procedures

2-Scar bands that form in the deep plane and tether the skin

To properly correct the deformity, it may be necessary to release the tethering and then add the fat grafts. It may take more than one attempt to get good results. Knowing that one can add more fat later, will remove the impetus to put too much fat and risk ulcerations, etc

Reza Nabavian, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

Scars are poor recipient sites for fat grafts.

+1

Fat transfers depend on the recipient site for vascularity and noursihment. Generally scars have a poor blood supply which makes them a relatively unfavorable area to accept a graft.

An oversimplified analogy will make the point. If you transfer a plant (fat graft), placing it in the desert (poor blood supply) will likely lead to death of the plant (failure of graft take).

Dead fat grafts can form scar tissue with possible cyst formation that may become secondarily infected or ulcerated.

There is no easy solution. Discuss your options with your surgeon. Sometimes a flap, which brings its own blood supply, is a better choice.