Fat Transfer to Breasts. Who is the Best Surgeon for This?

I live in NYC and I have been considering fat transfer to my breasts. I've always wanted lipo and larger breasts but didn't want implants, so this procedure seems perfect for me. I also don't have any breast cancer in my family at all. I recently had consults in Miami with Dr. Khouri and also saw Dr. Christina Ahn in NYC. (Dr. Coleman was out of my price range.) I am torn with Dr. Ahn and Dr. Khouri. I feel more comfortable with Dr. Ahn, but I hear Dr. Khouri is one of the best.

Dr. Khouri is a pioneer of fat grafting to the breasts

+2

Dr. Khouri is really one of the pioneers of fat grafting to the breasts, and I incorporate many of his techniques into my own approach to the proceure. 

Fat grafting can be an excellent option for breast augmentation.

However fat grafting is very technique sensitive, and surgeons who do not pay attention to each aspect of the process may not get consitent results. Every component of the procedure  from fat harvesting, to fat purification, to micrografting, and even preparing the bed of time with techniques like the Brava device as proposed by Dr. Khouri. The BRAVA device is always helpful, but is inconvenient to use and wear. I present the BRAVA option to most patients, but not all choose to use it, even though it will likely improve the amount of take of the fat. With careful attention to every step, anywhere from 70-90% take of the injected fat can be expected to survive.

We have installed the first Liquid Gold mini fat bank in the US, and with just one liposuction procedure we are able to successfully store fat, which allows us to save as much fat as needed for one or more procedures.

Choose the results not the price

+2

If you will choose a surgeon because of a price, or won't go to a surgeon because of his high price, it is better not to get anything done. If something goes wrong, you will always second guess yourself. By no means I am saying good or bad about any of the surgeons you mentioned. Go with your heart.

Adil Ceydeli, MD
Panama City Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting

+2

I think it is very important to feel comfortable with your surgeon - either of these surgeons would do a great job.  Good luck!

Bivik Rajnikant Shah, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Natural Breast Augmentation

+2

There are several viewpoints regarding fat grafting for breast augmentation.  Although, there is good data to support its use, it is not a mainstream procedure with several questions that are being examined.  Currently, the most recent American Society of Plastic Surgery position statement on the subject was put forth in January 2009 (plasticsurgery.org/Documents/medical-professionals/health-policy/guiding-principles/ASPS-Fat-Transfer-Graft-Guiding-Principles.pdf).  Since then, there have been more studies regarding this procedure.  Several of us perform this procedure in the area, but the more well known practioners nationally are:  Daniel Del Vecchio (Boston), Roger Khouri (Miami), and Sydney Coleman (New York).  Best wishes on achieving your goal.

Luis Zapiach, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

NYC vs Miami

+1
Both are great, many doctors practice fat transfer to the breast. My preferred technique is to use a small implant and add fat on top to individually shape the breast to the unique demands of the patient

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Fat grafting to the breast!

+1
Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Fat grafting is a valuable tool in breast surgery. This technique has gained more popularity over the past 7 years. There are many techniques used to harvest the fat, process the fat and then re-inject the fat. Conventional suction lipectomy is performed with a small diameter cannula, processed by separating the liquid and fibrous tissue from the fat, and then placed into syringes for re-injection or through a closed system.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Fat Transfer to Breasts

+1

Both Dr. Khouri and Dr. Ahn have excellent reputations, and you should be in good hands with either. The general rule with choosing the surgeon is once you have found one with sufficient expertise and experience base your decision on who understands your needs the best.

Fat transfer to the breasts is a procedure with generally a low satisfaction level, and we have subsequently implanted breast implants in several who have had fat transfer elsewhere. Be sure that this procedure will provide the results that will make you happy before you proceed.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Fat transfer for breast augmentation yields modest result

+1

As far as I know, Dr. Khouri practices in Florida and Dr. Ahn is in New York City.  I have seen several patients who had breast augmentation by fat transfer by surgeons considered to experts in this procedure and the results were modest; all the patient wished they were larger.  Also, there are no studies that show definitively that this procedure has no effect on the development of breast cancer. 

Tracy M. Pfeifer, MD

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Fat Transfer Breast augmentation

+1

I am pleased that you researched the concern regarding the potential to enhancing the development of breast cancer. Although the the studies show no short-term effects on increasing the risk of breast cancer, we still do not know the long-term concerns. Also, keep in mind that the studies show only an approximately 250 cc increase in breast size. Now some surgeons have increased this amount by using pre-expansion with a BRAVA device. Just make sure you are going to be happy with a smaller increase in breast size when compared to implants. Regarding the surgeon, you are just going to have to make that choice. I only know the work done by Dr. Coleman and Dr. Del Vecchio in Boston with fat transfer breast augmentation.

Dr. Lille

Sean T. Lille, MD

Known Risks and Unknown Risks

+1

My concern is the effect of fat grafting on future mammography.  There have not been enough women who have had the procedure done, and then gone on to have their mammograms taken, to determine if the scarring or any other changes to the breast from the grafting will interfere with mammography.

I have no porblem with fat grafting anywhere else in the body, but the breast is unfortunately a cancer-prone organ and breast cancer is still a major health concern for women.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS