Fat Transfer to Breasts and Butt, Which Survival Rate is Higher?

i heard that the survival rate for breasts is higher. is that true?

Fat injections to breast or buttocks

+2

fat injections to the breasts may require more fat inections than buttock fat injections. There may be considerable improvement with breast fat injections but the injections to buttocks may require multiple injections.

+1

The opinions will vary on this one-I have not seen any research on this question but I would guess the difference would be minimal.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Fat graft survival rates

+1

When fat transfers are done correctly, a large percentage of the injected fat cells do indeed survive and are permanent. When done incorrectly, they don't last very long. This is true regardless of whether the fat is being transfered to the buttocks or the breast. 

Successful fat grafting depends on 4 things:

1. Collecting the fat in a way that will keep most fat cells alive.
  2. Processing the fat in a way that gets rid of unnecessary elements, such as dead cells or excess fluids.
  3. Injecting the cells in a way that will optimize fat graft survival.
  4. Protecting the cells after they have been injected.

I discuss why fat grafting is long lasting when done correctly inside the video, but you can also take a look at my blog post web reference for more information.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Fat transfer to the breasts and buttocks should both have excellent results.

+1

Fat injection to the buttocks and breasts should both have excellent results if performed by someone who is experienced on a patient who is a good candidate and who follows the postoperative instructions closely.  Poor technique by the surgeon can result in loss of the fat.  The wrong candidate can result in a suboptimal result.  Finally, a patient who does not follow their postoperative instructions closely can cause the fat to melt away also.  See a board-certified plastic surgeon who performs fat injections routinely.  He will let you know if you are a good candidate and what you will have to do after surgery to get the best result.  I perform fat injections on the face and body and both can have excellent results.  Not many surgeons are performing fat injection to the breasts for cosmetic augmentation yet as there is some controversy about the safety of this procedure.  I'm sure this will be resolved soon and fat injection for cosmetic breast augmentation will become more popular.  Good luck!

Dr. Parham Ganchi

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon