Weight Loss Before Fat Transfer to Breast.

Hi there, I am considering fat transfer to my breasts. My Dr said that he could only transfer 150cc fat at a time due to lack of blood supply to my breasts. Question is, if i lose weight (am 150lb 5'4) and my fat cells become skinny, then there would be more fat cells in the 150cc of fat??? is the assumption correct? if so, when i gain weight i am likely to have an increase in breast size? Does this make sense?

Weight changes and fat grafts

+1

From what has been observed in other body sites, large weight gain or loss may result in enlargement or shrinkage of the surviving fat grafts. The amount of change however, is not predictable.

Fat injections

+1

Fat injections to the breast is gaining more popularity in the U.S. compared with a decade ago, but it still is considered controversial. Your theory of greater density of fat cells after dieting and transferring more fat cells with the same volume makes perfect sense but has not been studied to reveal a conclusion.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Fat transfer to the breast

+1
This technique is gaining acceptance in the US but there are limitations to the procedure. Fat transfer is used successfully in the face, buttock and for correction of contour irregularities.
In answer to your specific question, the fat cells which are successfully transferred to the breast will behave just as the other fat cells in your body. As you gain weight they will store more fat and the breast will grow. As you lose weight they will store less fat and the breast size will decrease.
Generally speaking 50-60% of the fat transferred survives. Discuss this degree of augmentation with your surgeon so that you have realistic expectations and will achieve your desired goals.
I hope this is helpful.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Fat transfer to breasts

+1

Currently in the US, fat transfer for breast augmentation is still being studied and isn't widely done.  We do use it quite often for buttock augmentation and for revisions of prior breast surgeries, as well as for facial rejuvenation.  Fat transfer simply moves living fat into another body area.  A portion of the transferred fat (likely not all of it) will remain in the new area and will act just like fat in any other body area.  As you gain and lose weight, the transferred fat will change in size.

Carmen Kavali, MD