Seeking Information On Fat Transfer to Breast Area

I would like some up to date/current information on fat transfers to the breasts. What's an appropriate range for the cost of the procedure if only one area undergoes liposuction? I only want to change the shape of my breast, fuller on mid/top areas, and increase just one cup size so I'm very interested in this procedure instead of typical implants. I'm 5'7" with 34 B breasts. Any advice or guidance is appreciated. If you would still recommend implants please elaborate and explain why.

Fat transfer for breast augmentation

+1

Fat transfer to augment the breast is still not considered standard of care. This procedure is much more expensive than an implant and my require more than one operation. The biggest concern as previously stated are the presence of micro-calcifications seen on mammograms. Micro-calcifications can be associated with benign or malignant processes in the breast.

Fat transfer for breast augmentation

+1

Fat transfer for any soft tissue augmentation is not 100% reliable due to irregular fat resorbtion and unrealiable fat revascularization.  Most fat transfer procedures need to be repeated at leat twice since not all of the fat will survive.

Latest technology involves the addition of stem cells derived from your own tissue.  Fat transfered with this approach survives much more reliably but the idea of transferring stem cells to the breast is scary.  We do not know a few important things:

Will stem cells in the breast impact the development or spread of breast cancer?

Will stem cells interfere with breast cancer screening?

For these reasons stem cell assisted fat transfer to the breast is not recommended.  Any fat transfer to the breast can interfere with mammography so this must be approached carefully.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Fat grafting can be used for the breast augmentation.

+1
Fat grafting to the breast is getting more acceptance. You can have one size enlargement if you have enough donor site. The avarge cost is between $12000-15000 for the surgeons fee, anesthesia and surgical center fee. I would recommend that you get multiple consultations. You should ask to see long term pictures,patient referral and mammogram of the patients with fat grafting. I have done more 250 fat grafting part of IRB study that registered with NIH(clinicaltrial.gov). You can also check my we site for pictures and more information.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Fat transfer to breast for augmentation works in many cases

+1

Lipotransfer is not an alternative to breast implants, as the outcome is drastically different.  With Lipotransfer we can more precisely adjust breast volume deficit in some areas, but there are some drawbacks:

1. A patient has to have enough fat tissue in areas that can allow procurement with very little trauma.  Our preferred technique is the JAFT  with Body Jet.
  2. No more than a cup size increase should be planned
  3. More treatments may be needed for additional size increase or after fat loss from atrophy

Fat transfer for breast augmentation is not widely accepted in terms of efficacy and there are some concerns about how calcium deposits from the fat grafts may appear on mammograms. However, there are some considerations:

1. Some of the most prominent expert in breast surgery (cosmetic and reconstructive) like Drs. Biggs and Khouri routinely perform fat transfer for breast reconstruction (the Miami Reconstruction) and augmentation and hold seminars to teach doctors how to do it.  Fat transfer appears to not be a concern in patients who have had breast cancer in these cases.
  2. Any kind of breast surgery will lead to some calcifications that are visible on mammogram.
  3. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons Task Force on this subject has recommended further evaluation of this procedure.

Breast lipotransfer fees vary across the nation.  We routinely perform this procedure, and in our area fees are comparable to breast augmentation with saline implants.

Mario Diana, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting and the breast

+1

Fat grafting has been used mainly in adjusting reconstructed breasts.  Some have been using it for breast augmentation although it often requires more than one treatment.  It can be quite expensive.  It also depends upon your ability to harvest enough donor tissue. The science is still not there whether or not it may increase the risk of breast cancer.

Fat transfer to breast area

+1

The current literature on fat transfer to breasts is not encouraging. The complication rate is too high in my opinion. I've seen women who have had this procedure with problems of having 'lumpy' breasts, high re-absorption of fat, asymmetry, and infections. I'm not a big proponent of implants either (they tend to stretch out tissue and displace with time), but I would rather put in implants than transfer fat to breasts. Fat transfer has its place in small amounts to correct SMALL imperfections, not for large volumes.

Best wishes, Dr. H 

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation with fat grafting

+1

You may be a good candidate for the procedure, provided you have enough donor fat.

The concerns with this procedure as previously mentioned are the possible risks of micro-calcifications in the breasts found on mammograms that may raise the suspicion for malignancy. 

Otherwise it is a safe procedure with a high satisfaction rate. It is preferable to transfer the fat immediately to increase the survival of the fat cells so they may last longer. The longer the fat is stored the less likely it will survive.

The downside of using fat to augment the breasts is the absorption of the fat by your body this can be unpredictable.  So it may not last forever as opposed to implants which are permanent.

Hope this helps, 

Good luck, 

Dana Khuthaila, MD

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Fat graft to the breast

+1

Fat transfer to the breast is still in its infancy. There are many questions that need to be answered before the procedure is widely used. some of the fat does not take and may form calcifications that can interfer with mammogram, may form oil cysts. We stll do not know the exact behaviour , on the long run of the fat cells and the stem cells in the breast in the face of breast tissue , hormones  and other factors.

Fat transfer to the breast volume will depend on the skin laxithy, and firmness, on the avarage about 150cc to 250 cc is injected, it can be repaeted at a second session in few months.

The avarage cost for fat injection to the breast is $ 3000, Plus anesthesia and facility fees

Breat Augmentation, reshaping and reconstruction with

+1
Sounds like you may be the ideal candidate for fat grafting, or lipofilling. At our facility we specialize in this procedure, for augmention, cancer reconstruction, improvement on existing implants, assymetries,in combination with breast lifts and even congenital deformities. The beauty of fat is that it can be placed exactly where needed in a situation like yours. We have also recently opened the first clinic based Liquid Gold lipobank, so fat can be stored for future and follow up proocedures, which can avoid needing further liposuction procedures.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

I think this sound like a great idea for you.

+1

I have been using fat grafting for many years in several areas including the breast. This has been controversial because it was always thought that the fat would cause calcification and interfere with mammograms used to monitor women for breast cancer. This may still be a small risk, and may result in an unnecessary biopsy being done. But the risk is much smaller than was previously thought, and if the fat grafting is done carefully and using multiple small injections, there is often no calcification at all, and if there is it is usually easily differentiated by an well trained mammographer.

What makes you a good candidate for this procedure is that you only want a moderate increase in size. Large changes may need multiple procedures and be prohibitively expensive.

Also your interest in filling a specific area is only achievable with fat grafting. Implants go under the breast and fill everywhere. The cost is similar to breast augmentation with implants.

Good luck.

Rodney A. Green, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon