Applying Pressure to Fat Transfer Areas?

I came late for my post op follow up and the doctor was ticked off and made me wait another 30 minutes.

When he finally came, he pressed down very firmly my lower eyelids areas. I did not want him to do this and I knew it wasn’t right and it felt lumpy and different after he did that. My results drastically went down and I am very hurt and upset. Was he wrong? I thought you shouldn't apply pressure to areas that had Fat Transfer?

Fat Transfer and swelling

+2

Sorry for your mistreatment. 

Fat Transfer requires blood supply. Excessive movement in the 5 days after injection can adversely affect the long term results of your fat transfer. After that time, the blood supply to the fat has taken hold and swelling can be improved with mild massage.

Pressure on certain areas could help after fat transfer

+1

First of all, I want to tell you that I'm sorry that you felt mistreated. Sometimes, doctors are very busy and they might come across that way when really they have a lot on their mind. A good bedside manner really can make a difference though.

In terms of the pressure, applying this judiciously can help some swelling that may be related to the manipulation caused by the procedure. Another word for this is inflammatory edema. It shouldn't really affect the way the fat will be shaped unless a lot of pressure is applied in a forceful way that could affect the fat's survival during the crucial period of about a month after your procedure.

The fat placed really should be formed by the technique of laying the fat into layers and by the amount placed. Each fat cell or group of cells should have their own specific location to acquire their own blood supply. This is the best way to ensure that the fat will survive.

Consulting a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon would be something that I would recommend. We specialize in the face and are highly qualified to help you with this.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer and External Pressure

+1

Hi Mistreated$,
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Sometimes we softly massage areas after fat transfer. In your specific case, your surgeon is the best person to explain what the thought process was in what was done.

Have a discussion with your physician.

Be well and hopefully you will heal beautifully.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD