Can I have a fat transfer if I already have orbital rim implants?

I had orbital rim and cheek implants with a top implant doctor out of Boston three years ago. Although there has been very good improvement, I am Stillhollow under the eyes, and would like wider for cheeks. Is it possible to have a fat transfer done if I already have orbital rim implants? Also, is there a risk of the needle touching the implants and thus causing an infection?

Fat grafting

+1
the short answer is yes.  there shouldn't be any problems.  please consult a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who performs fat grafting for a proper consultation.

Fat grafting following cheek implants

+1
 Although facial implants were  commonly performed  in the last decade, there popularity has fallen due to the fact that the face will still age around the implant. Thus patients will end up with issues like your own in which there is hollow near the implant. There is no need to remove the implant in these cases, rather what is needed is filling of the tissue  around the implant.   fat is an excellent option for filler as it is from your own body and long-lasting. In the hands of a skilled surgeon factor into the face can yield excellent results. The risk for infection to the implant is low as most implants are placed close to the bone and quickly become encapsulated thus isolated from the surrounding tissue.  Seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who performs fat grafting on a regular basis.

Christopher Khorsandi, MD

Fat Injections Around Orbital Rim and Cheek Implants

+1
There would be no problem having fat injections around orbital rim and cheek implants. They should not pose any significant infection risks although antibiotics should be given at the time of the fat injections.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Fat transfer is possible

+1
The fat transfer will be in a surgical plane that is more superficial than your implants so, as mentioned by other experts, risk of infection is quite low. However, a most surgeons would advocate that a prophylactic dose of antibiotics should be given at time of surgery.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fat Grafting over Cheek Implants

+1
Fat Grafting over Cheek Implants
Yes, it is quite reasonable to do fat grafting over cheek implants.The risk for infection is minimal.It has been my experience that many cheek implants do not fit perfectly smoothly and leave some visible borders.Fat grafting can smooth this and give a much more normal appearance.Additionally, very few premade implants are the exact size or shape you need to provide the precise fill necessary to achieve your desired look.Fat grafting then can provide that other fill necessary.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Fat transfer for lower lids and cheeks

+1
Yes, it is quite possible to perform fat inejction along the lower lid and cheek region to enhance your results.  Best to be seen in person.

Filler or fat injection ok after previous facial implants

+1
Yes, you can still have either fat or filler injection if you have had previous facial implants. They are not mutually exclusive.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fat transfer after orbital implants

+1
You can have fat put in over the implants, and in the surrounding areas.  This is done with sterile technique so risk of infection is low.  The amount of fat that survives can be variable, especially directly over the implant.

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fat over orbital rim implants

+1
Fat is a living tissue, and the only way that can survives for a long time it must establish new blood supply. If you will place fat over the prosthetic implant that is surrounded by fibrous tissue the fat graft is much less like to survive. Never the less, you can try it with a plan to transfer small amounts and plan to do it more than once.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1
Your are far out and the implants have already set in. Fat grafting to contour your face, should not be an issue at this point. 

Maan Kattash, MD, FRCS