Will a Fat Transfer After BA Rupture my Implants (I Have No Breast Tissue of my Own, but They Are Under the Muscle)?

I had a bad BA years ago and am hoping to have my implants replaced with smaller ones. I think it may have partly looked bad/unnatural due to me having no breast tissue to begin with. I wondered if it would be possible to have my new implants put in, and then get a fat transfer on top to make them look more natural at a later date. I'm skinny and have a lot of difficulty putting weight on, so it may take me a long time to save up enough fat first. Any help would be great! thank you very much

Fat Transfer to Reconstruct Breasts

+1

Fat transfer to reconstruct breasts is a very viable option and can be done without rupturing implants.  Of course, fat transfer presupposes that you are a good candidate for liposuction.  Realize that you only need 200 cc or so for transfer so this is not a lot.

Implants in Very Thin Women.

+1

Hi Emma,

Thank you for your question.  I agree with some of surgeons comments below.  If you had breast implants years ago, I assume you may have had saline breast implants.  These implants are very prone to rippling.  This may be what is causing them to look unnatural.  Even regular silicone memory gel implants can have rippling. Ways to fix this are with placement of a dermal matrix (trys to thicken the tissue over the rippled area) fat grafting, or changing to a more solid implant such as form stable which is now available in the USA.  The dermal matrix is probably the most common way to fix this, fat grafting is also possible, but needs to be done very carefully to not affect the implant, but I would suggest the form stable anatomical implant.  This will probably give you the most natural shape as you have no breast tissue of your own.  A new pocket (or neopocket) need to be created for this.

Best Wishes!

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant visibility or palpability

+1

Thank you for the question.  It sounds like you are very thin and are having issues with either being able to see or feel the implant through your breast skin.  If this is the case your options include fat grafting, acellular dermal matrix (ADM), or form stable implants.  Since you are thin fat grafting may be the most challenging way to proceed.  Form stable implants would be the easiest but are ideally placed in a fresh pocket.  Depending on how thin you are and how much of the implant you are seeing and feeling you and your surgeon will be able to decide which of the above three options are best for you.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Fat transfer and breast implants.

+1

Rupture is a risk, but an experienced PS surgeon would know how to minimize the risks. Perhaps you should consult with someone with experience doing implants and fat injections before having the exchange - best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Fat Transfer After BA

+1

Your idea is sound, but it may not work. Though there is some risk of injuring the implant, this is not too likely. And using fat will improve the appearance of some augmented breasts.

But if you are skinny, you will probably not have a good fat source, and the donor sites will be at significant risk for irregularities that may be more problematic than the breast contour issue. 

This needs a sit down with a plastic surgeon. When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Fat transfer to buffer the appearance of an implant is done but there should be a strong indication.

+1

Fat transfers are inherently unpredictable and most breast augmentation patients are not candidates.  In the rare patient where there is a paucity of subcutaneous flap to camouflage the contour of the implant, fat injections are certainly a possibility.

Fat transfer

+1

Any form of soft tissue augmentation such as what would happen with fat transfer will help soften the look and improve the aesthetic result

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Is fat transfer to the breasts dangerous after a breast augmentation with implants?

+1

Fat transfer is done with a blunt cannula with fat placed in the layer just underneath the skin and around the breast tissue.  While it is possible to rupture the implants with the cannula, it can often be done safely with the right technique.  You would need to find a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in fat transfer to the breast. 

There are other options available to patients in your situation such as-

1. removing the implants and using fat transfer alone (though this often requires multiple surgeries to achieve the end result)

2. using smaller or "more natural" implants

Ultimately you should see a plastic surgeon in your area to discuss what options would be best for you.

Allan Eckhaus, MD

Fat injection after breast implants

+1

Anytime fat is injected into a previously breast augmented chest, there is always a risk of implant rupture. The injection cannulas are blunt but there is a potential for puncture.