Is Fat Transer for Breast Augmentation Getting More Popular?

I am really interested in getting this procedure done. I've noticed most PS don't offer this and those that do are picky on who they treat. Will there be more surgeons offering this as an option with less limitations in the near future? I'm not at all comfortable with getting implants.

Fat Transfer Becoming More Popular for Plastic Surgeons

The good news is that Fat Transfer is  Becoming More Popular for Plastic Surgeons. You are right, many plastic surgeons do not offer this procedure but it is already changing and in the future many more will. I personally have substantial experience in this procedure and after reviewing the scientific literature (much of which is done by Plastic Surgeons) it appears to be a good procedure and I have had good success in the right patients. No doubt this is just the beginning, and many PS will be involved in the near future. I think you should stick with a board Certified Plastic Surgeon to be in good hands. Remember all procedures have benefits, risks and complications - Implants and Fat transfer to the breasts included.. The good news is that side effects and complication rates associated with fat grafting to the breasts are not, overall, unduly high.

Common Risks, side effects and complications include infection, bleeding, fat embolism and graft volume loss; over filling, under filling, asymmetry, fat necrosis, and ectopic calcification among others. Although, there are risks and complications associated with autologous fat grafting, cases of severe complications and death appear to be extremely rare.

Concern regarding the interference of autologous fat grafts with breast cancer detection is not validated by the limited number of studies available on the topic but it appears that radiologists in general can differentiate artifacts from fat transfer and malignancies. However, caution should be used  in patients at high-risk for breast cancer including a positive BRCA-1, BRCA-2 and/or personal or familial history of breast cancer.

Results of fat transfer remain dependent on a surgeon’s technique and expertise, therefore make sure your surgeon is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

There is no doubt that Board Certified Plastic Surgeons and their main societies: the American Society of Plastic Surgery and The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery represent the most talented and longest trained aesthetic surgeons in the business. That being said they are relatively conservative and demand extensive study before "jumping in" to a fad or a procedure that has later proven dangerous. This is wise and has resulted in a long and safe track record. Check out their websites to find out more on this subject.