Can I Use Fat from Smart Lipo or Tumescent Lipo for Fat Transfer?

I want to get smart lipo for my abdoman, sides and a couple of other places. I want to also get fat transfer to my buttocks, is that possible?

Fat injections for buttock can't be used from Smart lipo

+2

As SmartLipo is subjecting the fat to thermal (or heat) trauma, the fat cells are destroyed and won't live well in the new area.  Tumescent liposuction, however, does not damage the fat in this way, and those fat cells can be retrieved and used for fat injecitons.

Fat Transfer after Smart Lipo

+2

Using the Smart Lipo system will result in the disruption of the fat cell making useless for transfer to any area of the body.  However, most surgeons experienced with fat transfer techniques, will use specialized cannulas to harvest the fat prior to performing lipo-sculpture with the Smart Lipo system.  This will allow for the minimum amount of trauma to the fat cells to be transferred while still allowing for the maximum result from your lipo-sculpture.  

Theodore Diktaban, MD, FACS

Fat Transfer

+2

Fat obtained from Smartlipo cannot be used for fat transfer.  The laser treatment used to "melt" the fat makes the cells non-viable.  Harvesting fat for fat transfer requires very gentle suction to help maximize the viability of the cells. 

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

+1

Yes, fat transfer is always possible if the patient has enough fat to liposuction. I would recommend standard tumescent liposuction as smart lipo will damage the cells.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Naturalfill Aqualipo fat transfer smartlipo

+1

When a smartlipo procedure is performed, the doctor will put the tumescent solution in the area to be treated. Tumescent solution is another name for numbing fluid which is a mixture of IV fluid, or salt water, and lidocaine. The numbed area is then treated with the smartlipo laser. The purpose of the laser is to melt the fat cells and provide a heating effect to the skin to obtain skin tightening. The fat is then removed with traditional type fat removal procedures. Because the fat has been irreversibly damaged by the laser, you can not use this fat for fat transfer. To accomplish a fat transfer, a more gentle procedure, such as Aqualipo should be performed, and then the fat transfer, or Naturalfill procedure can then be succesfully used to transfer your fat. 

Roger Bassin, MD
Orlando Oculoplastic Surgeon

No problem, combining fat harvest with any lipo technique.

+1

We simply harvest the fat before the therapeutic liposuction begins.  That way we are assured of good, healthy fat for transfer.  We pick the area to be done that needs the most liposuction and take the deepest layer of fat, usually the sub-scarpa's fat of the abdomen.  Knee fat works even better.

Ritu Chopra, MD

Facial fat transfer cannot be performed with Smartlipo

+1

Hi punkin,

Facial fat transfer cannot be performed with Smartlipo.

Fat for facial fat injections is typically obtained via gentle liposuction manually by your plastic surgeon. Next, this fat is processed to purify the fat, stem cells, and other viable tissue while minimizing damage. The fat is then immediately transferred to the face via small injections to rejuvenate the face, during face lift, lip enhancement, or other cosmetic surgery.

Liposuction for body shaping is typically performed with more aggressive methods, which may be appropriate for a good looking abdomen but is not appropriate for facial fat transfer. Smart lipo destroys the fat cells. Speak with your plastic surgeon to help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat Grafting when Doing Liposuction

+1

Liposuction, regardless of technique, will traumatize the fat cells, but the fat harvested for transplantation can be removed before the liposuction. It is smart to do both procedures during the same operation.

Fat transfer

+1
For successful fat transfer, it is best to use fat cells that are alive and not injured. Smart lipo uses laser to burst the fat cells. Thus most will not be viable. Therefore your result will be negatively affected.

Siamak Agha, MD, PhD, FACS

Fat Transfer works with Tumescent Liposuction

+1

Fat transfer with fat obtained during tumescent liposuction and handled properly by an experienced surgeon will work as well as possible.  Smart lipo destroys the fat cells so it is not appropriate for fat harvesting.  When done at the time of body contouring, fat transfer to the buttocks can be very rewarding.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD