Can Fat Removed During TT Be Stored to Use Later for a Fat Transfer to the Butt Area?

I'm having My gallbladder removed and a TT with some light sculping lipo (he is not doing any lipo to my back area). I would also like to do a fat transfer but does not think it will be a good idea to flip me over. So can I ask him to store the fat so I can have it transferred to my butt at a later time? Will there be enough fat to use for fat transfer to that area? Can the transfer be done under local? I don't want a huge butt just something a little more plump than what I have now.

Storing fat for later - Not Practical

+1

If in fact your fat was removed and stored by protocol by a company specializing in this sophisticated process then yes it it possible, but not practical for the following reasons:

Fat Cells outside the body die over time. This is why Frozen Fat Transfer  is Possible but not in your best interest. First of all it must be done in absolute sterile conditions using a protocol and utilizing a company that specializes in stored fat. It would be best to do it at the same time and I would re-discuss this option with your surgeon.
Freezing fat is not a standard procedure and should be viewed as experimental. In short, is not in your best interest. The reason is that as a rule, the longer the fat is outside your body the more of a chance there is of fat cell death, infection from contamination, and less chance of survival. The best chance for maximum fat survival is immediate fat transfer. Even then there is incomplete survival.

Remember there is Zeltiq CoolScultpting which essentially cools fat in your body externally to make fat cells die early. It therefore doesn't make sense that cooling fat will also increase the survival of fat. See a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in this technique

Freezing fat for fat transfer

+1

We dont recomend freezing or preserving the fat because the survival rate is much less and can lead to many complications. for the best results and longevity it is best to place the fat right way

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Have you tummy tuck and buttock fat grafting done seperately

+1

Yes, you could store the fat but I do not recommend it.  When fat is stored there is an increase risk for a few things happening that would not be ideal including less fat graft survival, infection, possibly the wrong persons fat injected by mistake, etc.

I like the idea of you getting your gall bladder removed as single procedure and then undergoing a tummy tuck and fat grafting of the buttock as a second procedure.  Do not worry to much about saving money on anesthesia or facility fee.  Do what is best for you in terms of best final result and safety.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Can Fat Be Stored For Later?

+1

I would recommend that you postpone the Tummy Tuck/Lipo until a later time, or at least the lipo portion.  It will make the procedure safer for you and it will provide for you a better result for your Buttocks Augmentation.  Stored fat usually becomes dead fat.  There may be a technique available in the near future to store fat safely, but as of right now, it's not FDA approved. 

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

Store liposuction fat for a later use

+1

Although fat removed during liposuction can be stored (frozen) and used at a later date, this is not ideal as many of the fat cells do not survive the freezing and storage process. After fat injection, there is more uncertainty as to how many of the stored cell will survive making your result less predictable.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Storage of fat for grafting is not possible at present

+1

Hi there-

While this may become possible in the future, at present there are no safe means of setting aside the fat removed from your body at the time of your tummy tuck for later use. The fat (and other tissue) would die between the time of your tummy tuck and the next operation- so the fat cells would have no chance of surviving if they were injected into your bottom- and in fact injection of dead cells would probably make you very sick.

If this is important to you, your best bet is to not have it done at the time of your gallbladder surgery.

Armando Soto, MD

Brazilian Buttock lift

+1

You need gall blader surgery and want tummy tuck and Brazilian Butt Lift

Do the gall blader first by endoscopic gall blader removal.after complete recovery, you can have a tummy tuck and dermis fat graft to the buttock or a Brazilian Butt Lift