How Much Fat Would Be Removed from an Athlete?

Petite and athletic. Body fat kept to a minimum through diet and exercise. Need for focal contour only. Can you just remove a few ounces and make the difference needed? Not much fat to spare.

+1

As a bodybuilder and a former Division I college athlete, I know about body fat and getting it off.  The amount of fat removed will vary from person to person.  The key is that when the fat is removed it is done in a fashion that is even and aesthetically pleasing.  Find a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Small Volume Lipo

+1

Great question. I just did three cases just like you this morning. It is very common for thin people to get liposuction. A good way to estimate the fat that can be removed is to estimate each pinch as 60cc. It is sometimes surprising how much fat comes out of thin people. Results are best in thin people who just want some contouring such as yourself. Lipo is not a weight loss procedure. 

Joshua B. Hyman, MD

Does focal liposuction contouring make sense for small, athletic people? Ask Dr Ellen

+1

Hello Seeking_Information,

Good question.  And congratulations for maintaining your weight and figure!

Believe it or not, liposuction has the most success in individuals who can identify localized  (aka small limited) areas of fat depostion.  So, in answer to your question, small volumes of fat are frequently removed to contour an area.

As an example, I see a lot of people for treatment of the the inner thighs- and often for small volumes- that just distort their leg line.  The outer thigh is another area that often has a small volume.

As far as whether it would make the difference that your desire?  It is best to come in for a consultation and determine if your goals are realistic and if you are a good candidate.

Thanks for asking!  Dr Ellen

Ellen A. Mahony, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon