How Much Fat Removal Possible? Which Area Will Be More Efficient? (photo)

Hello..... I am 35/ male. I have attached recent DEXA scan result. Currently I am 27.5% body fat. I have most of the fat deposited on the abdomen belt and hips belt region. Which liposuction method will be most beneficial? How much fat removal I can expect?I want to remove as much as fat possible from the whole body. Is possible to perform two sessions 1 week apart OR two doctors performing procedure simultaneously to remove more fat? Thank you for your time.

Efficient options for fat removal

+1

Dear Sam,  in most cases liposuction surgery can be performed in one surgery by one surgeon.  That said if a very large volume of fat needs to be removed, i.e.  greater than 4000 to 5000  cc, then it may be safer to schedule more than one procedure a few weeks apart.  Adding a second surgeon will not significantly change the safety factor.  To determine if your procedure can be performed in one surgery, would require a face to face consultation.  Our office offers free, no-obligation consultations, directly with me, and can be arranged at (408) 356-4241.  Best wishes.

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Fat Reduction

+1

I think a good physical exam is more helpful than a DEXA scan. The type of liposuction device is much less important than the competence and ability of the surgeon performing the procedure. Spend your efforts finding the right Plastic Surgeon. The procedure should be done by only one surgeon with a limit of 5 liters of total output. 

Jeffrey K. Scott, MD
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Fat removal

+1

I think that the best way to determien what can be offered to you, is by seeing you in person and performing an exam. Good luck. There are many different machines to perform liposuction.  In addition, you may even need an excision procedure, can't say without the exam.

How Much Fat Removal Possible? Which Area Will Be More Efficient?

+1

I would need to examine you to make a precise recommendation.  I think that liposuction of the abdomen and hips will likely yield a large volume of fat.  5 liters is the limit in an outpatient setting.  You should find one surgeon who removes this amount all the time.  Two surgeons would not be needed.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

How much fat removal is possible?

+1

Dear sam123a, unfortunately the DEXA scan is not very helpful to asses the problematic body fat.  I can tell by looking at the scan that you had a tight belt and you were lying down  which made your hips look wide, other than that I can't see much.  Liposuction is a contouring procedure where the surgeon removes the fat that is out of proportion or that causes deformity.  Not all of it but the excess of it.  Removing fat has to be done judiciously.  Too much removal produces deformity, too little does not correct the problem.  The most important factor determiningt he outcome of liposuction is the talent and experience of the surgeon performing it and not the type of liposuction.  Each surgeon has a certain preference for types of lipo.  In my case I use Vaser, PAL and Body jet in addition to standard lipo.  Never had the need to use Laser lipo because I can accomplish everything I need to accomplish with the above modalities.  There is a limit to the amount of fat that can be safely removed in one setting.  Large volume liposuction is the removal of 5 or more liters of fat in one procedure.  This kind of liposuction requires fluid and electrolyte resuscitation, blood transfusions, intense monitoring and a hospital stay among other things.  Your best bet is to limit lipo to your problem areas and visit with an experienced Plastic Surgeon who can give you realistic scenarios of what can be accomplished through body contouring.  It can be very satisfying.

Juan A. Brou, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction volume limitations

+1

I would try an identify what areas of your body you would like improved and what your goals are.  Liposuction can be performed in a handful of different ways with similar results.  In an outpatient setting the total amount of fat that can be removed in one session is about 5 liters.  Undergoing liposuction a week or so later is generally not a good idea for several reasons including discomfort, water retention, and evaluating your results.  Seek a few consultations with board certified plastic surgeons that can show you good before and after liposuction photos and have good reviews.  This will be the beginning of your liposuction journey.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD