Fat Orbital Decompression for Proptosis Due to Trauma?

I had trauma to my left eye when I was 6 or 7. Now I am 24. my left eye had proptosis ever since. I already had a CT Scan that came out normal .I have been told that the only possibilities now are the soft tissue. Either muscles in the left had gotten bigger, or maybe there is more fat in the left orbit. If there is extra fat in the orbit, would a fat orbital decompression work, and would it carry any complications? It is only removing the extra fat, the fat that wasn't suppose to be there.

Orbital decompression for proptosis

+1

The proptosis may or may not be related to your past trauma.  Proptosis (bulgy eys) can be reduced by removing orbital fat, bone, or both.  The type of surgery and amount of orbital decompression depends on the amount of proptosis and your specific orbital anatomy.  See an oculoplastic surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.tabanmd.com/thyroid-eye-disease-graves-disease

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Orbital decompression.

+1

There are difference ways to address proptosis:  orbital fat removal vs bony enlargement [or sometimes both]

Both are effective and it depends on the surgeon's preference and comfort with each technique.

But first, you should be properly evaluated. The CT scan should address the question of the muscles being bigger than normal. You can visualize them on the CT scan. Secondly you should be worked up for other possibilities for proptosis, such as Thyroid Eye Disease.

Trauma should not cause proptosis. Once the swelling has resolved it should go down to normal, unless there is an associated bony fracture in which case it usually causes the eye to look smaller [only very rarely will the fracture fragment cause the eye to be pushed outwards].

If you decide to explore this further, I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website.

Web reference: http://seattleface.com/html/dr_amadi.php

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.