Fat Loss or Lipoatrophy After Rhinoplasty?

I have heard that some people experience loss of fat around the eyes and/or cheeks following Rhinoplasty. Is this true, and can it be avoided?

Rhinoplasty does not cause fat loss

+2

As stated by others the likely cause is that when your face was swollen from the surgery you liked it more and after the swelling went down you noticed the hollowness.  Also, weight loss may result in loss of facial fat.

Rhinoplasty has no effect on fat around eyes

+1

Among the thousands of rhinoplasty surgeries performed, we have never seen any loss of fat around the eyelids. Rhinoplasty does not alter or effect fat around the eyes.

Fat loss around eyes after Rhinoplasty

+1

Strange rumor! I have NEVER seen fat loss around the eyes after rhinoplasty. Perhaps the initial swelling and bruising around the eye may mimic fat loss?

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Fat loss after rhinoplasty

+1

There will be no loss of fat around the eyes or cheeks following rhinoplasty. Hope this helps answer your question. Thank you and best of luck.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Rhinoplasty has no effect on eyelid fat

+1

The shape of eyes can appear changed from change in the shape of the nose. However, a rhinoplasty does not have any effect on the fat in the cheeks and eyelids.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

There is no loss of fat around the eyes or face after rhinoplasty.

+1

There is no loss of fat around the eyes or face after rhinoplasty. The eyes appear larger and softer after the bump is removed and people think they have lost fat.

Rhinoplasty and eye swelling

+1

I would love to know where rumors like this get started. Occasionally, one may experience greater than average post-operative brusing and swelling. Once this resolves it may appear that the eyes appear more hollow but this is not a known complication of rhinoplasty

Loss of fat around the eyes is not a commonly recognized risk from Rhinoplasty

+1

Loss of fat around the eyes is not a commonly recognized risk from Rhinoplasty. As the other doctors have answered this is not common. It is a possiblity that some of the vessels around the nose could be affected with aggressive rhinoplasty that could affect the blood flow to the parts of the eyes that are closer to the nose. This could be the only possible way of losing fat around the eyes.

The other phenomenon that the doctors have mentioned could account for this sensation that you have lossed fat around the eyes. One is that you tend to notice things more after you have had a procedure. Two, the swelling around the eyes from the rhinplasty as it goes away could give the person the impression that they have lossed some volume around the eyes.

Hope that helps!

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty effects on nearby eye area and cheeks

+1

Rhinoplasty itself has no long term effects on the eyelid or orbital area. It also does not affect the amount of fat in your cheeks. That being said, I have seen patients who when they bruise around their eyes from a rhinoplasty, can sometimes make the dark circles appear worse at least temporarily from the effect on the veins in those areas. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat loss after rhinoplasty does not occur.

+1

At the risk of being redundant, I'll chime in as well to say that reshaping the nose has nothing to do with fat loss or hollowing around the eyes. It simply does not happen and cannot happen.

Hope this gives you some peace of mind,

--DCP

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon