How Much Fat Needs to Be Left Behind After Lipo to Have the Best Results?

I am a 30 yr old who had lipo on my tummy a year ago. I'm 5'6", 118 lbs, but have a tummy pooch. The surgery reduced it somewhat, but I still have fat right near my belly button. It's especially noticeable when sitting or bending. I understand everyone gets "folds" on their tummy when they bend over. I have them on the upper part of my belly and those do not bother me, only the pooch does. I went back to the Dr who did the surgery, he said nothing can be done. Just wanted a 2nd opinion?

Tummy tuck or liposuction

+1

you need to have an examination to determine if the redundant folds are skin or fat. If the latter, then liposuction could be done but I doubt you would ever get a perfectly smooth result with bending.  You may however need an abdominoplasty to tighten the skin if there is not much fat left. Usually, in liposuction the surgeon stops removing fat when about 2 cm. (4/5 of an inch) of fat is felt to remain in  between two fingers that pinch the skin and fat (so about 1 cm of fat under the skin and above the muscle). This residual fat hopefully develops a smooth appearance without indentations or folds.

What next?

+1

I think your choice is a tummy tuck or do nothing.The problem is with loose skin and lipo will not correct this.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon