Fat Injections to Reverse Bad Upper Eyelid Surgery Scars?

I had upper eyelid surgery 3 years ago and left bad indented scars above the crease and side of eyes. Can these indented scars be fixed by reversing the procedure and add fat in the area to fill out the scars??? Dont want to have another invasive surgery since he took too much skin and fat first time and I can close my eyes but feel alittle tension still when doing so.

Improving Eyelid Scars

+1
One can revise their scars and/or add concomitant fat to soften these areas. This should be done in the hands of a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with expertise in secondary blepharoplasty.

Fat grafting to the upper eyelid to correct hollowness

+1

It is difficult to answer your question without a detailed physical exam, but here are some general principles that I hope will be helpful to you.

Fat grafting is one of the best things that has happened to facial aesthetic surgery, since it allows us to correct hollowness that occurs as a result of weight loss, the passage of time, or overly enthusiastic surgery.  For some reason a good number of surgeons still feel tempted to take out every bit of fat from the upper eyelid, even though this produces a hollow or socket eye.  Fat can help the surgeon to rescue these eyes,  but the technique is tricky and this area requires a high degree of technical expertise.  The technique was pioneered by plastic surgeons such as Sydney Coleman and have been picked up by a variety of surgical disciplines.  The important thing is to find a surgeon who is highly experienced with this technique.

It sounds like you also have a problem with suboptimal eyelid scars.  It is very difficult to comment on your specific case without seeing pictures, but a word of caution is in order.  Sometimes it is better to accept a less than ideal scar than to risk restriction of eyelid mobility.  If an eyelid does not close properly, you risk developing a dry eye condition or even worse.

John Q. Cook, MD

Bad Blephs?

+1

Take no chances!  Use an experienced Cosmetic Surgeon who will explain your present condition (in detail) and who will first use Hyaluronic Acid products around the orbit in such a way as to camouflage your defects without exacerbating your condition.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting will not help eyelid scars

+1

The eye lid scars you are describing are usually relatively low on the eyelids. Trying to inject fat into this area is not a good idea at all. The skin here is very thin and unforgiving. There are ways to add fat to improve the orbital hollowness, but injection isn't the ideal way to do it.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

The scars will not be reversed by adding volume to the inside of the eyelids.  The hollowness will be helped.  You may need scar revision or laser to improve the scars.   

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

If the upper eyelid scars are from too much upper eyelid skin removal, a scar revision would not be able to be performed as this takes even more skin.  Fat can be used to fill in the indentations but the results can be unreliable.

Eyelid scar revision

+1

Fillers or fat can help with hollowness around the eyes but unlikely to improve the scars themselves.  Scar revision may be possible by other drug injections or surgery.  Consult an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid issue

+1

You bring up a very good point. If too much skin was removed taking more skin out in a revision may be worse.

Fat transfer can improve the peri-orbital hollowing after blepharoplasty

+1

It is difficult to provide relevant assessment and advise without a clinical exam or adequate pictures; however, fat transfer can certanly improve the hollowing you are describing. Fat transfer is an invasive procedure and carries risks such as irregularity and lumpiness. You may want to speak to your surgeon about a trial of HA fillers before doing the fat transfer.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon