Could Fat Injections Be Permanent in the Nasolabial Folds?

Could fat injections be permanent in the nasalabia folds if there is less motion in that area? As long as I don't smile too much. Can it last longer?

Fat Transfer to the Nasolabial Folds

+1

Most patients undergoing fat injections to the nasolabial folds will note some degree of improvement.  Additional treatment sessions for additional correction are often necessary.

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer to Improve Smile Lines

+1

Fat injections take fat from one part of the body, typically the abdomen or flanks, and transfer them via injections to another area. Fat has the potential for long-term or permanent improvement, unlike other facial fillers (ex. Restylane, Juvederm). However, a certain degree of transferred fat will always be absorbed or go away. Fat transfers in areas of movement, such as the smile lines, have a slightly higher absorption rate than non-mobile areas like the cheeks. In addition, fat transfer does not stop the natural aging process and repeat treatments may be required as necessary. Speak with a cosmetic specialist to help determine if fat transfer is appropriate for you.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat Graft Injections CAN be Permanent

+1

Fat is a living tissue and fat graft injections can be permanent. To do so, the fat must be incorporated by in-growth of blood vessels which nourish the fat. Movement, compression and slow or lack of blood vessel incorporation cause or allow the fat to die rather than thrive. As a result, some areas which are highly vascular and less mobile are often better places to put fat grafts in than highly mobile and blood vessel poor areas.

Fat injections in the smile fold

+1
Fat injections are grafts. Fat cells taken from one site in your body may live in a different site. There may need to be a few treatments.I do find better "take" in the cheeks than the smile folds but I do have patients who have enjoyed their results in the smile folds.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Fat injections to face.

+1

Yes, fat injections can be permanent but that doesn' t mean that the aging will stop. As you continue to age the face will continue to be effected by gravity.

Fat Transfer

+1

Fat transfer is permanent but we dont always get all the fat that is initially injected to last.  I usually tell patients that to have a permanent correction, they will likely need about 2-3 injections to the area of concern.

Hope that helps

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Fat injections

+1

Fat transfer is permanet once it takes(Acquire new blood supply). you may loose some fat at the begining but done right most will stay. Be prepared to have another sitting of fat injection for final results.

Fat transfer to the nasolabial fold does not replace the need for a face lift. Be sure you are a candidate for fat transfer to the nasolabial fold. Try Restylane first then if you like it you may have fat transfer.