Are Fat Injections Permanent?

I have a depressed scar on my cheek. It is a round circular scar. A plastic surgeon recommended Fat Injection. I want to know if Fat Injections are permanent. There seems to be conflicting information about this on the internet.

Are Fat Injections Permanent

This is a very common question as patients want the result to last if they are going to undergo surgery.

The Brazilian Butt Lift is so popular because it enables your plastic surgeon to transform your entire shape. Liposuction is performed over several areas depending on the individual patient needs, but typically of the flanks, abdomen, back and thighs. So this is going to change your entire shape.

The results tend to last for years to come if your weight is stable. I would not say that the results are permanent as we all continue to lose some fat overtime as we age. I is just part of the natural aging process.

With the fat transfer patients typically lose about 30% of the fat that is initially transferred however the fat that is present six months post-op will remain as long as your weight is stable. If you lose weight you can lose some of the transferred fat, and if you gain weight you can increase the size of your buttock. The benefit of the fat transfer is that the fat is your own and acts just like the fat in other parts of your body.

If you are at a healthy weight and maintain that you will be able to enjoy your results for year to come. The Brazilian Butt Lift is one of the procedures that patient are almost universally extremely happy with after surgery.

When considering this procedure it is very important that you have your procedure performed by a board certified plastic surgeon.

Fat injection results are permanent

Fat injections are permanent. However, not all of the fat may "take" or survive when injected. Certain areas seem to hold up better than others. Most people quote a figure of about 60-70% take in most areas. This is why repeat treatment may be necessary.

Fat Transfer is Permanent

While you are absolutely correct about the conflicting information, in my experience and recent literature, fat is permanent once transferred. Unfortunately, a certain percentage of transferred fat does not take and additional injections may be needed. There is an excellent article in the January 2009 issue of Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery that shows that at 18 months follow up, fat is still present but there is a wide range of percent of take.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat transfer is permanent when done appropriately

When fat transfer is done appropriately, it is permanent.

Injecting fat in scars is unperdictable because the vascularity of the scar is not optimal for fat transfer. Scars can require multiple procedures.

Fat injections are permanent when done correctly

I have been doing fat injections for over a decade and I agree with Dr. Khoobehi--they are permanent when proper techniques are used. There is a lot of conflicting information out there regarding how long fat grafts last . My position is that fat transfers (fat injections) are permanent when the following conditions are followed:

1) proper extraction and processing of fat

2) strict protocol for the patient during post operative period. This is particularly important for fat injections to the buttocks.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Fat injection information

The web is frought with mixed messages. The doctors who perform this technique often have great results. Technique is everything. I am the inventor of the Viafill system, a system that is designed to maximize the number of live cells for injection. The results in my hands have been durable and smooth!

Robert M. Freund, MD

Survival of fat cells

Microfat grafting technique is a very technical procedure that allows maximum survival of the fat transplanted. I would say that the fat that does survive ends by being permanent as it acquires a new blood supply. In the worst case scenario (what I tell my patients), a small percentage of the fat will not make it immediately after injection. I beleive that this is true in large injection cases(buttock augmentation, etc.).

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Fat injections can be permanent

The reason for the conflicting answer is the variation in the technique. I been using fat more than 12 years and it has worked for me. The reason for the fat grafting failure is the damage to the fat in the harvesting . I use fat for breast and I have IRB study and NIH study under clinicaltrial.gov (search under fat injection). Ask for patient referal and pictures. Please make sure your surgeon is board certified plastic surgeon.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Longevity of fat injection results

You are absolutely right. There is much controversy in the literature. Certainly some surgeons would claim that their techniques are superior to others and achieve higher success rates.

In reality, it is somewhat unpredictable. Placing fat grafts are not much different than planting seeds. When you want one tomato plant you don't plant one seed, you are told to plant 2 or 3. Same goes with fat grafting; when you desire a certain volume, you implant 2 or 3 times that volume.

In terms of results, everyone differs. This can depend on general health, donor site fat quality, success of fat removal, fat preparation, recipient site, volume implanted, technique of implantation, smoking history, bleeding tendencies, etc.

There is no doubt that even in the most successful cases, a certain percentage of fat will not survive while the remaining portion "takes".

Your question is how much of this fat that takes wil last and for how long? We don't know. You may read that it lasts 3-5 years while others claim it lasts forever. I have seen both cases in my practice. There are many reports of individuals who underwent fat injection 15 or more years ago to their face and then when they gain weight many years later the fat that was in their face responded to the weight gain and enlarged proving that the fat can last a very long time.