How can scar tissue, lumps, or hardening of lips from fat injections be avoided? Can this process be accurate, or are there too many variables or mistakes that can happen?
How to Avoid Hard Lumps After Fat Injections on Lips?
Doctor Answers 2
Fat transfer: A variety of methods.
You have posed this question very precisely which indicates your understanding of the complexity of this process. Despite claims by some practitioners, we still don't know the best method. Clearly, there are popular methods.
Issues to consider are:
- How to harvest: Syringe or Machine suction, sharp or dull cannulas, excision or aspiration.
- Shape of grafts: pearls, aspirate, pieces.
- Isolation techniques: Sieve, filter, gauze, gravity separation, centrifugation, washing
- Additives: Insulin, Dextrose, antibiotics, etc
- Method of insertion: implantation, injection (sharp versus blunt needle
- Volume placed: linear threading, depot
Depending on the techniques utlilzed above, some individuals claim a higher survival rate but this is an exceedingly difficult problem to study and physicians may be highly opinionated in this regard.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.