Will Fat Injections in Marionette Lines Reabsorb? I Don't Like The Results.

I had a tiny bit of fat in my marionette lines 6 weeks ago, it has done nothing to fill the line but looks irregular and bumpy when I smile on the right side, and looks like there is a small bulge below the line. Will it likely reabsorb over time because of all the movement in the area, what can I do to fix it massage, steroid, 5fu or just wait?

Fat transfer "final results" take 4-6 months

+1

I think your final results are likely not yet apparent at 6 weeks. You likely still have some overcorrection and edema distorting your result. Give it another 4 months or so before you consider any revision, as long as your operating surgeon seems to think things are going within normal limits.

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with facial fat injections

+1

You are only 6 weeks out from your fat injection which is still too early to determine the final appearance. I would give this some more time - at least another 10 weeks. If at that time you are still unhappy with the results, the fat can be removed either by some judicious usage of a steroid injection or suctioning of it out. You need to discuss your concerns with your treating doctor and ultimately, if indicated, the treatment options.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Fat transfer around the mouth

+1

You're right that the take of fat is less in more mobile areas of the face such as the mouth. This doesn't mean that it will all resorb necessarily. I would expect there to be swelling in the area at only 6 weeks from your procedure.

Steroid is a consideration to help though I would suggest you talk with your surgeon to get a better sense of what to expect and whether waiting at first is best.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Will fat injections Reabsorb?

+1

I dont see the final results after fat transplantation to the face until about 3-4 months after surgery, so be patient.  Massage may help, but more than likely it will improve on its own without steroid injections.  Fat is typically injected deep below the skin level so risks of bulging and irregularities is lower than injectable fillers such as Restylane.  Swelling stays around for quite some time with fat and patience is key. Good luck!

Christian Prada, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon