How Can I be Guaranteed that a Fat Injection will Last?

Hello, I've read here in Realself that brazilian butt lifts are permanent after 6 months. However, I have a friend who had fat injected in her face and the results faded completely in 6 years. What happened? If the fat injected was still there after 6 months, so she should have kept it.

Grafted fat after 6 years

+2

The big question here is what your friend would have looked like today if she never had the fat grafting.  The fat she had grafted 6 years ago is likely still partially in her face and making up for normal loss of facial fat with aging.

Web reference: http://www.seattleface.com/html/fat_injection.php

6 years from fat grafting is not terrible

+1

6 years is not terrible. There are many lifts that are being marketed out there and I have heard and seen results that only last 6 months. 6 years is on the shorter side and you can get results that last 10 years or more. The average length of time that a face lift lasts is 8-10 years.  Not much more. Importantly, when I see those people at 8-10 years and they say it is time for another face lift, I can say that they could have  had something done 5 years ago.  I don’t think face lifts last as long as you think and you have to ask yourself is a face lift really what I want in the first place. Do I want a pulled and unnatural look?

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat injections depend on the experience of the surgeon.

+1

Fat injections depend on the experience of the surgeon. If the fat is done by an experienced surgeon, the results will be better ( but not guaranteed). Also certain locations do better than others.

Can a Fat Injection be Guaranteed to Last?

+1

Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that fat grafts or injections (or just about anything else) will last for a lift time. Results may change due to aging, weight loss or weight gain, or the bodies response to the fat. If you are thinking about having a Brazilian Butt Lift, discuss with your surgeon what would would both do if the results do not last.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Long term effects of buttock fat grafting

+1

Fat grafting of the face and buttocks are very different.  With facial fat grafting, there are very small amounts utilized and there is an accepted rate that about 50% of what is injected will be expected to remain long term.  If your friend's results changed over the period of years, this is more likely secondary to natural aging changes / weight changes that will continue to occur with or without surgery.  Buttock fat grafting has a more reliable 'take' of the fat grafts, when done correctly with appropriate handling of the fat harvested, a higher percentage can be expected to remain permanently.  This fat will be subject to normal changes that occur with weight fluctuations and how a particular patient maintains themselves.  Overall, liposculpture and brazilian buttock fat grafting can offer a dramatic change in body shape and contour and permanent changes in the right patient.

Web reference: http://drsimonplasticsurgery.com