Do Fat Injections in Your Buttocks End Up Fading?

A doctors office told Me that fat injections end up fading and people nationwide are unsatisfied with fat injections because of this. I have also read about a lot of different silicone injections fading or scary stories of people saying this was the worst decision they made because of all the side effects. Do these injections fade away and are they safe?

Silicone injection to the buttocks

+3

First I disagree with the surgeon's office who told you that fat transfer to the buttock ( Brazilian Butt Lift) will diappear.

That is FALSE, fat transfer is the best way to enhance a buttock now.

As for silicone injections to the buttocks. These are being done in motels and basements by non physicians and they use either commercial grade silicone( from the hardware store) with disasterous results. or use commercial hydrogell used in potting plant.

The body reaction to iinjectable silicone is Granulomas that are hard, painfull and may have chronic infections with strange bacteria. It is an illegal trade, that is why it is done in basements and motels.

Removal of the injected silicone is very expensive and very difficult, and one is not possible to remove ALL the silicone.

Fat grafting will fade

+2

Unfortunately, transferred fat volume most definitiely diminishes with time.  I counsel my patients that expect 50% of the fat volume to be lost over five years. 

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Fat injections to buttocks

+2

It is true that some of the fat that is injected does not stay.  However, a good portion of it usually lives.  If necessary, a secondary "touch-up" procedure can be done as well.

Jonathan Heistein, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Do Fat Injections Fade with Time?

+1
This is a very common question as patients want the result to last if they are going to undergo surgery.

The Brazilian Butt Lift is so popular because it enables your plastic surgeon to transform your entire shape. Liposuction is performed over several areas depending on the individual patient needs, but typically of the flanks, abdomen, back and thighs. So this is going to change your entire shape.

Fat transfer has been a hot topic the past few years and because of that a lot of surgeons have tried to perform the procedure without proper training or experience. When fat grafting was first being performed many surgeons did not appreciate the fine and subtle techniques that are needed to achieve the results that patient’s desire.

Also like any new topic I think people used it as an answer to any problem and thought that it could replace implants and magically fix any problem. As with any new product or technique it has settled down to a realistic procedure that has its place in aesthetic surgery.

I do think for patients to get the results they are looking for they need to have the procedure done by an experienced board certified plastic surgeon that performs a tremendous amount of fat transfer. This is important because the surgeon will be able to be realistic with you about the results that are possible from fat transfer and tell you whether you are a good candidate for the procedure or not.

A surgeon that performs a lot of these procedures also has a system in place that allows him or her to process the fat and shape the body in the best possible way. The results tend to last for years to come if your weight is stable. Just like any liposuction procedure, this does not prevent your body from being able to put on weight. If you are at a healthy weight and maintain that you will be able to enjoy your results for year to come. The Brazilian Butt Lift is one of the procedures that patient are almost universally extremely happy with after surgery.

With that said I would tell you that when it comes to your body, I would not choose your surgeon by who is the cheapest. It is important to have several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons. Also make sure that your surgery is being performed in an accredited surgery center or hospital.

Unfortunately here in Miami many patients try to save money by having their procedure performed by non-plastic surgeons and at facilities that have not been accredited and often have problems.

I would NOT have silicone injection or any other substances injected into your buttock that is not fat. That is a set-up for life long problems. Some people have these injections and are fine, but the people that have problems have them for life. Do not do silicone injections to your buttock.

I would advise you to see a board certified plastic surgeon that performs a lot of fat transfer procedures. In my practice the Brazilian Butt Lift is one of the procedures where patient are extremely happy after surgery.

Johnny Franco, MD

+1
After the first 6 weeks, the result is stable and permanent. Yes, there are studies to document long term retention.

Fat injections to the buttocks provide long lasting benefits

+1

Fat injections to the buttocks provide long lasting benefits. Up to 50% of the fat can survive for many years. With aging, touch up procedures also help. New research into the use of stem cells will increase the longevity of fat transplantation in the future.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Fat is a permanent plumper for the buttocks

+1

Fat transfer (taking fat from one place in the body and moving it to another) is a great method for increasing volume of the buttocks.  It is true that some fo the fat does not survive the transfer.  Even int he best hands, approximately 30-50% of the fat that is transferred will die and will be absorbed by the body. This usually happens within the first 3 months and is the reason why people say that the fat "does not stay."  The remaining 70-50% of the fat will survive and even grow.  This is a safe way to increase the size of the buttocks and give a lift....when done by someone experienced with the technique.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Fat Injections Are Good, Silicone Bad

+1

In general, fat injections into the buttocks are permanent once the initial fat becomes incorportaed into the surrounding tissues.  In some patients, this is all of the fat while others it is only 50%.  This is why some patients need multiple treatments.  But, once that fat is living there, then it should be permanent.  Silicone injections are not recommendedfor any part of the body.  It is illegal to inject silicone and there is no such thing as medical grade silicone, no matter what you may see advertised.  I hope this helps

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

What Happens to Fat transfers (Butt, Face, Hands etc)

+1
Living fat is NOT a shapeless gel, it is a collection of living cells which requires a good circulation to deliver oxygen and nutrients and remove degradation by product. The harvesting of fat involves suction and injures a variable percent of the fat cells so not the fat removed contains intact living fat cells. In addition, the processing of the fat and the placement of fat in the area to be grafted result in further injury and cell death. Finally, once transferred, those fat cells which are not rapidly supplied by blood vessels will not make it as we.. As a result, a variable portion of the fat transferred will not survive the collection and transfer process. However, UNLIKE all other fillers, your own fat lives forever and has NONE of the serious complications seen with permanent fillers. There is no better filler for filling large areas. Dr. Peter Aldea

Fat transfers are permanant

+1

Fat is a permanent "filler" product and the only one that comes from your own body. It is very common to have some volume loss immediately after the grafts are places (generally about 30-50%), but once things have stabilized, the result should be nearly permanent.

Lawrence Iteld, MD