Fat Injection in Lip Caused Large Hard Lump

One year ago I had fat transfer to my face and my lips. On the lower lip there was always a small bulge just below the lip line, but it wasn't noticeable. About 2 months ago I developed a large hard lump in my lower lip. There are a couple of very small hard places in my upper lip, however they do not show. THe one on my lower lip is very noticeable and looks like a bee sting or like I have been hit. What is the best resolution for this problem

Fat Transfer

+1

A consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon is recommended and a possible small surgical option can be considered. Thank you for your question and good luck with everything.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Lump after Fat Injection to Lip

+1

Lumps after lip enhancement injections can happen with any lip injection material (fat, hyaluronic acid, collagen, etc) or surgeon / specialist. Most lumps are temporary and due to swelling. Small bumps or lumps in the lips after cosmetic injection augmentation typically resolve in a few days, but possibly couple weeks. The lip bumps may be the product material, bruising / swelling, or combination. Less commonly scar tissue or infection may cause a bump or lump.

Your plastic surgeon or dermatologist may massage the lips to help smooth the area. Alternatively, hyaluronidase may be injected into the bump to help dissolve the material (Restylane, Juvederm). Lumps from the material itself generally resolve as your body naturally dissolves the product. Speak to your lip injector regarding any concerns you may have. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lump after Fat Transfer

+1

This lump could be caused from either infection, scar tissue or the injected fat itself.  If you are experiencing pain or tenderness in this area you should see your injecting surgeon immediately.  If you do not have pain and/or tenderness, I would still recommend seeing your injecting surgeon for possible steroid injections to the lump.

Karyn Grossman, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Lumps After Fat Transfer

+1

Absolutely talk with your surgeon. What you are experiencing may be normal and resolve over time, it may represent scarring which can be helped, or it may represent a foreign body reaction.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bump on lip after fat transfer

+1

You should have your surgeon examine your lips to see what's going on. You may have some scar tissue that has developed. An injection of a steroid may help with this.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Fat Transfer to lips

+1

One year after fat transfer to the lips. If the lump is bigger and "looks like a stig" you should consult your surgeon to make sure there is no infection.

If the lumps are due to fat, attempts at taking them out is possible but difficult and may leave a deformity requiring repair (further surgery and expense)