Does Having a Fat Injection Leave You with a Scar

Does the area were the fat is liposuctioned from leave a scar.

Fat Grafting

+1

The incision for fat that is harvested is so small that it is not a major concern to the patients.  If you have problems healing consider using silicone band aids or gel after the procedure and make sure to stay out of the sun.  Fat grafting is a great procedures that my patients really love.  Enjoy!

Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat injections and fat removal will leave a mark in the donor area

+1

Fat removal is needed to do fat injections.  Whether it is done during liposuction or a separate syringe removal without liposuction, there is some tiny mark left behind by the removal, but not the insertion of the fat into the face.  The cannula may leave a very tiny indent or red or brown discoloration that may be 1/16 to 1/4 inch or less and is usually not easily noticable unless you pigment after injury. The coloration can be improved by laser if necessary but I have not ever had to do this.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Scar from fat injection

+1

Any time a surgeon makes an incision, it will leave a scar.  In this case, the scar will be quite small and usually can be hidden so it cannot be seen unless you point it out.  Please don;t worry about this aspect of the intended procedure.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Liposuction scar

+1

Thank you for your question. In preparation for liposuction, a small incision is made into the skin adjacent to the donor area to allow the liposuction cannula to access the subcutanous fat. Anytime an incision is made into skin, a scar results. However, the scar is typically very small (less than 1/4 inch), and the surgeon will often strategically place your incision in a location where the resulting scar will be less conspicuous. Ask your surgeon where he / she intends to place your incision and express any concerns you have regarding the scar. I hope that helps. Good luck.

James M. Pearson, MD

Small Scar

+1

You may see a small scar where the fat was harvested. This scar is very minimal and most patients are happy about the size and appearance. There will be no scars left on the facial area. This is one of the wonderful benefits of Fat Transfer since you are not cutting into the facial tissue.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Very small scar

+1

Yes, liposuction does involve leaving a scar. The scars are hidden in areas of the body to make them less noticable. The scar will only be about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch long. Most patients have no complaints about their scars after liposuction.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Is there a scar from Fat graft harvesting?

+1

Anytime we make an incision there will be a scar. In my practice, the access site for fat harvesting is quite small since the cannula I use for harvesting is also very small.

Also, I typically hide the access site in an existing creases or, as in the case of abdominal harvesting, I'll place the incision in the belly button area.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Fat injection

+1

The needle that is used to aspirate fat is fairly small. A scar will be left where that needle is introduced through the skin. It is usually 1/8-1/4"

Michael Hueneke, MD