Do I Need Another Fat Injection for Hollow Cheeks?

I had fat injections on my cheeks, but it only made the lines near my lips disappear. I still have hollowness at the part of my cheek near my ears. Do I need reinjections? If so, when can I have it? My first injection was on 21/5/2009.

Fat injections are often performed in a series of treatments

+2

One fat transplantation may not give sufficient improvement. Fat injections are often performed in a series of treatments two months apart. Check with your doctor again about scheduling another treatment.

Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Too early to tell if you need more fat injections

+2

Moolly71,

Fat injections in the face is a popular cosmetic treatment for facial rejuvenation. Fat is natural, soft, and has potential for longer term aesthetic results. Fat transfer is performed under local anesthesia or IV sedation. Most patients have swelling and bruising after the procedure, which lasts a few weeks.

One can usually have more fat injected, if you feel more volume is needed. I'm unclear from your question whether the hollowness part of the cheek near the ears received any fat at all with the first injection. Your plastic surgeon may not have injected specific areas of the face for better overall facial balance and harmony. You may not need more fat transferred.

Some surgeons save fat to be added later for touchup or minor injections in the office. Touchup injections may occur several weeks after the first injection, once a majority of the swelling and bruising has subsided.

Speak with your plastic surgeon and ask when, if any, more fat may be injected.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Usually, waiting at least 6 months before revision is prudent

+2

Sometimes, augmentation in one area may make another area appear under augmentated. The swelling should go down and reveal the final results in 6 months to a year. Your doctor will be able to tell if the volume is due to one area being larger and more swollen then the other and whether adding additional fat would be necessary.

You can always add more fat. Taking out too much fat is a little harder than adding more fat at a later date. The best way for me to tell is to see pictures and you in person. The way you put fat in and where can mean a world of difference.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon