Is Getting Fat Injection to Breasts Safe?

I'm 5' 6.5" and 178lbs. I'm 24 years old and considering getting fat injection to my breasts. I currently a cup B; however, I want it to be make my breasts fuller or bigger as cup C. I prefer this method to the implant because it's more natural. I wonder if there will be any risks or side effect. Am I a good candidate for this procedure? What is the method of getting fat out of my body? Is this procedure widely used? Thank you!!

Fat grafting to the breast

+2

i have reviewed the literature extensively and can say the procedure is safe and the concerns of fat necrosis being misinterpreted as cancer has been discredited in both the plastic surgery and radiology literature. there is only one recent study with few pts and and using older techniques that called for more waiting.  what is importnt for you is to choose the procedure that fits your needs and anatomy not your wants. both procedures are safe but they are not equivalent. choose your surgeon based on reputation, past work and current good standing.  they should also be up to date, so all choices can be discussed intelligently. 

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Fat Injection

+1

There is always risk of infection, fat loss, and size irregularity.  An exam by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon will provide information on your candidacy for the listed procedures.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation by way of fat grafting

+1

You may be a candidate for this if your skin is compliant (loose) enough to accommodate the injected fat cells. In other words, patients with very tight breast skin, may need pre-expansion with a negative suction device called Brava to allow the skin to expand. If your skin is elastic enough and you have enough donor fat, then you may in fact be a good candidate for this procedure. I remind patients that a certain percentage of the fat cells will shrink after they are injected, therefore it's very possible you may need a second procedure to achieve the desired size. Going up one cup size is quite reasonable with this type of augmentation.

Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon familiar with fat grafting techniques.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Fat Injections to The Breast

+1

The quick answer is that no one knows for sure.  Some studies have shown that it does not interfere with routine standard mammograms to detect breast cancer but some studies have not.  It is too soon for a definitive conclusion. Hopefully over the next few years, with further studies and research, the answer will become clearer.

Karyn Grossman, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Fat transfer for breast augmentation

+1
The size if the native breast, the volume of the fat harvest site, and the patients expectations are all considerations for the ideal candidate. We have been able to augment the breast with 100-250 cc of fat in different patients with excellent results.

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Fat Grafting Breasts to Increase Size

+1

Mainstream America is not doing aggressive fat grafting to breasts.  There is a risk of the fat dying and then calcifying causing specks on your mammograms that radiologists have told us can be delineated from breast cancer specks.  If you're willing to accept this risk and the possibility of unnecessary biopsies, then fat grafting is fine.  If you're more conservative and only want fat grafting, then wait a little longer untl the dust settles regarding this risk.  There are other risks to fat grafting as well such as cyst formation and asymmetry.  Personally, I like to use fat grafting to repair contour irregularities in patients who have had mastectomies rather than simply for augmentation. 

Curtis Wong, MD

Fat Injections to Breast

+1

Auto-augmentation of fat injections to the breast for purposes of increasing cup size is still in its infancy. The plastic surgery societies whose interest is to protect the safety and outcome of such procedures in patients are not recommending it as of yet until further long term studies are reviewed. Fat grafting for purposes of correcting volume after breast lifts, or after reconstructive surgery haev shown promising results. There are still several questions to be answered such as the long-term viability of the fat, how much volume is necessary, how many procedures are required to achieve a long-term natural result. The still most consistent and low-complication rate procedure is a breast augmentation with silicone implants which can consistently result in a natural, soft, and long-term improvement in your shape.

Jeffrey D. Hoefflin, MD