Fat Injected into Lower Eyelids

A year ago I had lower eyelid surgery. I was not happy with the results in the left eye. My PS adivsed me that I had deep tear troughs, and that fat injection would be the answer. Three weeks ago he injected fat drawn from my belly. It looks terrible now...Now what. It looks like a white worm...

Fat injections under the eye

+1

Fat injections have become very popular over the last 10-15 years.  They require specialized techniques, and they are one of the few procedures that demand meticulous attention and extensive experience.  And the most difficult area of all to do fat injections is under the eyes.  The skin and soft tissues are very thin under the eyes, so every lump and bump will show.

I have over fifteen years experience with fat injections, and I am a certified oculofacial plastic surgeon, and I do not inject fat under the eyes.  And you should know fat injections are one of my favorite and most rewarding procedures.  The complication rate is just too high for me.

For those of my colleagues bold enough to do fat transfer under the eyes, I recommend harvesting only from under the chin, and neck area, as the fat lobules are the smallest here, and thus the least likely to become lumpy.

In your situation, you are only three weeks out, so give it a few months.  If it is still not settled by then, I would consider some corticosteroid injections to the lumps.

Good Luck,

Yoash R. Enzer, MD

Providence Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fat injection to the tear trough

+1

Swelling can last a long time, but then the true volume of the fat graft will be seen once the swelling subsides. Was the fat injected above, in or under the muscle?  Ask your plastic surgeon how it could be lessened if it persists this way.

Ronald Shelton, MD