Fat or Hyaluronic Acid for Lips and Hollowness Around Eyes?

The photos I have seen of people with fat injected to the upper/lower eyelids and lips look great. Fat transfer seems to make the lips look naturally plump and fills out the area around the eyes nicely. Is there a benefit of having fat over other fillers, in this area? Which one gives the best results?

Fat grafting over other fillers

+2
Fat grafting, when expertly administered can provide a very beautiful and natural looking result. I have attache d a link to my fat grafting gallery so you can see the results. It is important to select a plastic surgeon carefully as different physicians have varying degrees of experience and expertise. Start by looking at a lot of before and after treatments   

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Fat or Hyaluronic acid filler for lips and under eye hollows?

+1

I vote for synthetic fillers to treat these difficult areas.  I know big proponents of fat transfer who do not use fat in the lips because of unhappy results.  The area is just to mobile to allow an adequate take of the fat cells and it is likely patients will be disappointed.  Treating the under eye hollows is a popular application for far but the very thin skin here makes it a quite challenging location for fat grafting.  Often the fat is palpable, and sometimes even visible, and this makes for an unhappy patient.  Restylane is a good safe choice for both area in my opinion.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fat injections for the tear trough for the best results

+1

There is no question tht fat injections to the tear trough give the best and longest lasting results. Injectible fillers like hyaluronic acids can give a quick and easy result but the results are short lived and don't give as nice results as fat.

Jason B. Diamond, MD

Fat grafting versus Fillers to the Face: the best option for you.

+1

Fat grafting is a surgical procedure with greater potential risks and although it costs more, it does have the potential to be permanent which can be good and bad. IT has the advantage of offering tremendous volume whereas the fillers can become quite expensive if large volumes are needed and have to be repeated. I often recommend fillers first to assess if patients "like" the result. If they do we and desire a permanent solution, we can discuss fat grafting at a later more convenient date.

Fat or Hyaluronic Acid to Fill the Lips and Eyelid Area; It's Not the Paint, It's the Artist

+1

Hi Kelly,
Both fat transfer and hyaluronic acid fillers can give very good results in the lip area and peri-orbital (around the eye) area. Other physicians here have elegantly answered your question regarding the pros and cons of the treatments.
What is most important is choosing your injecting physician most carefully. As with everything that we do in facial cosmetic surgery, it is not the product, technique, or surgical procedure, but the person whom you have chosen to trust your face with that ultimately determines your result.
Good luck and be well.
Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Fillers for the lips

+1

Filling the lips is all about your preferences. Fat injection can be performed although long term survival of fat into the lips is not as promising as in other areas. The resorbably fillers are a good product but they need to be redone periodically.

FIllers for lips and fat for troughs

+1

Kellyr,

I think you can see that the jury is still out on fat vs fillers, especially in the areas you are addressing.

In the tear troughs, especially if you have thin skin, we tend to find that fat works better and lasts longer. There are a few instances where we have seen patients who had fillers placed by outside doctors under the eyes and it caused a boggy fullness, almost like fluid filled bags and we have also seen some patients who get the blue Tyndall color under there eyes. SO fat done by the right surgeon, in a conservative fashion that addresses your concerns without making you look like a different person is our person for under the eyes.

The lips, we find almost the exact opposite- fillers do great, patients are happy and you can always do more relatively easily if you want. Fat in the lips tends to go away relatively fast because of all the movement in the area.

Hope that helps. Let us know if we can answer anything more specific.

All the best and have a great weekend :)

Peyman Solieman, MD

Hyaluronic Acid for the Lips

+1

Hyaluronic Acid (HA) fillers are consistent, safe, hydrophilic (draw water in for a smooth appearance) and frankly hard to beat in the lips. Fat injections can potentially produce good results in the right hands and are not necessarily a wrong choice. However, in my practice, I prefer the consistency in results achieved with Juvederm and Restylane.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat is good for the face but doesn't always last in the lips

+1

There are a number of considerations when it comes to hyaluronic acid filler vs. fat injection. Fat comes from your own body but it is also a surgical procedure with significant healing time. Since the lips are so active, fat often goes away. So, why go through the extra healing time and cost for lip augmentation when you can pull a filler off the shelf, get a predictable augmentation for a number of months for a lot less money and go right back to work after.

For the lower eyelids, fat is also excellent and has a longer lasting effect. But the skin in the lower eyelids is very thin so fat can look lumpy. These lumps are difficult to treat. If you seek fat in your lower lids, see a Doctor with a lot of experience in this procedure.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Injecting fat vs a filler

+1

If at all possible fat is preferred because whatever fat survives after transfer is permanent. Most injectable fillers go away with time. However there are pros and cons for each as has been listed above. Your surgeon should go over all of these before the procedure is performed so that you can choose what is best for you. The main problems with fat are unreliable/unreproducible survival rate, possible lumpiness and the size of surviving fat can fluctuate with weight changes.

Aaron Stone, MD