Fat Harvesting: How Much Will Survive and How Much Should I Overfill by?

In the process of fat harvesting, how much of the fat will survive? How much of an overfill is a safe guess? Overfilling area by 50%? 

BBL

+1

A lot of fat survival depends on the technique that is used, the size of the fat grafts and the injection technique. Experience and meticulous technique counts

How much Fat Survives?

+1

Excellent question, there is great debate currently about methods of harvesting, methods of injecting and how much survives , I will tell you go to an experienced surgeon who has performed these procedures, expect a 20-40% loss depending on the type of procedure and technique used, good luck.

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Fat injection

+1

Dear Littlebitts91,

That is a critical question. You can see from the previous answers  that  the numbers are different from doctor to doctor. In my own experience, in the last year , 9 patients who had fat injection to the butt by other plastic surgeons, lost fat completely or almost completely after 1 year. Butt implants are soft, feel and look natural. Most importantly, they do not disappear.  Consult with  board certified plastic surgeons who have experience in butt implants surgery. Check their before and after pictures and make sure that you like the results.

Dr Widder

Shlomo Widder, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Fat Survival Depends on Harvesting & Injection Technique

+1
The amount of harvested and injected fat that survives is an area on ongoing research and conjecture at this point. Most experienced fat transfer surgeons report an estimated survival from 50-80%.  We know that harvesting and injection techniques, location and treatment modalities have some impact, but the exact parameters are not yet know.  What is known is that the procedure is highly effective clinically and safe.  A physical exam is necessary to estimate how much is needed and how much will need to be suctioned, processed and injected. A more specific answer would be pure speculation.  All the best.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Fat Injection Overfill Varies By Where It Is Injected

+1

No one can predict with any accuracy as to how much fat will survive in any one patient. There are great variabilities in how fat survives based on where it is harvested from, how it is prepared, the technique of injection and where it is injected into. Most surgeons do some degree of overfill but there are big differences in how much overfill is done for a specific area. This is seen in the approach used, for example, in the buttocks I(as much as you can) vs the cheeks. (slight overfill) 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Fat Grafting Volumes in Brazilian Buttlift

+1

I typically see at least 70% survival.  I also transfer about 1200 cc to 1500 cc to each buttock.