Can Fat Grafts Metastasize During Removal and Cause New Fat Parcels to Show Up?

If a Lipoma removal can cause more Lipoma formations, than couldnt a fat graft that is removed result in more fat graft nodules forming?Of course you would not see them show up for a few years because they would start so small.(I think this may have happaned to me)

Lipoma removal does NOT cause more Lipoma formations and Fat Grafts do NOT "metastasize"

+2

Regarding: " Can fat grafts metastasize during removal and cause new fat parcels to show up?
If a Lipoma removal can cause more Lipoma formations, than couldnt a fat graft that is removed result in more fat graft nodules forming?Of course you would not see them show up for a few years because they would start so small.(I think this may have happaned to me"

First, a few corrections. Lipoma removal does NOT cause other Lipoma formations. Lipoma is a benign growth whose INCOMPLETE removal allows it to recur sometimes. Second, the ONLY way fat grafts would spread like cancer (IE metastasize) would be if the surgeon used a cancerous fat tumor (IE liposarcoma) as his donor fat source. Not likely and rapidly fatal.

The most common reason why fat elsewhere is more evident after liposuction is because the major focus of attention is removed allowing visual focus to be diverted elsewhere and occasionally (certainly not accusing you of this my dear lady..) is that patients view liposuction as a "Get out of Jail" card which allows them to indulge. This in turn results in fat being deposited elsewhere since the fat which was removed cannot accumulate fat the way in did in the past.

As for the weaving of cancer and fat grafting, you may want to put  those dark thoughts to good use. With the plethora of vampire books and films you can't fail. As long as you don't start it with : "It was a cold, dreary and stormy night ..."  Ouch!

Dr. Aldea

Fat transfer

+1

Fat graft are made up of largely fat cells with a few other cells.  These are none cancerous and do not generate (proliferate) additional fat cells.  Thus they can not metastasize.  

Siamak Agha, MD, PhD, FACS