Is fat grafting to the butt something that is necessary in all patients when doing the butt lift part of the 360?

A circumferential lower body lift has been suggested to me by the plastic surgeon that I have decided to use as I have lost 170 pounds since my highest weight. He will be doing the 360 and also an arm lift at the same time. He did not mention anything about fat grafting to the butt in our consultation but someone else said that they had this procedure and if fat grafting was not done their butt would have been flattened out when it was pulled up. So I am just curious if this is a "necessity"

Fat grafting the butt

+2
Hi tdybear 1978
What your friend said is partially correct.  A lot if not the majority of patients who have lost a lot of weight,  will often have a flat butt after a lower body lift. I don't like to fat graft the butt  under these circumstances because the results are not good as you have to lay on your back afterwards. I do an auto-augmentation of the buttocks instead which you can lay on. I also do an auto-augmentation of the hips so you don't get a boxy look, a common problem after lower body lift. By the way make sure you are getting a lower body lift as many 360 deg procedures are not the same. Check with your plastic surgeon. Make sure that you will be getting a tight lateral thigh pull.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Butt lift and "360"

+1
It really depends. Most patients would in fact benefit from fat transfer to the butt after circumfrential skin resection. However, some patients have enough tissue in the butt to get by without it. Ask your surgeon.

Michael Salzhauer, MD

Fat Grafting at the time of 360 Lower body lift

+1
A 360 lower body lift after massive weight loss can leave the buttocks, which is often already deflated, looking quite flat.  However, I prefer not to perform fat grafting at the same time. A lower body lift is already a long surgery. In addition, the positioning requirements after fat grafting to the buttocks would be very difficult after a lower body lift.  Therefore, I would typically delay the fat grafting until a later date.  Another alternative would be to perform a buttocks auto augmentation at the time of the 360 lift. Basically, this means using the fat of the lower back that would otherwise be discarded to fill in the buttocks area. This is different from grafting in that the fat is kept attached to its blood supply and is rotated into the buttocks area. You can ask your surgeon if he or she performs this procedure and if so, would it be a good option for you. 

Laurence Weider, MD

Buttock augmentation with lower body lift

+1
Indeed the buttock tends to get flattened when performing a lower body lift. Depending upon your available fat, fat transfer or buttock implants may be considered. Keep in mind that a lower body lift is a big procedure in itself and the surgeon may opt to save buttock augmentation for a second procedure - for safety as well as a more predictable outcome once you have settled from the lower body lift.  Glad to help. 

Ryan Stanton, MD

+1
A butt lift when skin is removed tends to flatten the buttock. If you want a rounder, smoother, fuller buttock, a Brazilian buttlift may be more appropriate.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of Brazilian buttlifts each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.