Fat Grafting to Nasiolabial Area was Overfilled, Will Any of it Reabsorb?

Two months ago I received fat grafting to the nasolabial area - the CORNERS only, as the folds were nearly non-existent. Ever since the surgery, the area right above the folds has been greater in volume and thus has created (a) an unattractive bulge right above the folds and (b) sharp folds. (1) How did this happen? Did the fat migrate? (2) Can this be corrected with a steroid or other non-invasive procedure? (3) Will this fat right above the folds likely be reabsorbed and if so how long?

Fat at cornere bulgy

+1

Fat when injected is thicker than filler and requires a bigger diameter canula to be squirted in The pattern has been shown to be like a fan not a straight line like a filler 30 guage needle so the placement can be imprecise. It is necessary to wait for the final result..Steroid injection does help.

Wait another 2 to 3 months

+1

At 2 months you can expect some further reduction in volume to occur. Talk to your doctor about ways to reduce volume by microliposuction or other means if the deformity persists. Good luck!

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Overfilled fat grafted areas

+1

Generally, areas that have been fat grafted will decrease in volume for about 4 months after surgery and reflect the resolution of swelling.  The amount of volume left after 4 months will probably be the stable amount of fullness from the viable fat cells.  Patience for now as things will change more on their own without doing anything.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Excess Fullness Following Fat Grafting to N asolabial Areal

+1

Hopefully the undesirable convexity will improve over the next 2-3 months as swelling resolves. If your not satisfied at that time I feel the best way to improve your contour would be liposuction with a small cannula to remove excess fat.

Wait a couple more months

+1

I would be patient for a couple more month. Some fat may still be shrinking/atrophying and there may still be some residual edema swelling.

The fat does not migrate. It may be that the fat survived in some areas better than other.

Try to repost in a couple of months with photos.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon