Is Fat Grafting Possible in Face Reconstruction?

I had a fistula from a tooth infection 4 years ago. It developed a mass on my lower jaw so I had it removed. Unfortunately,it resulted in a really bad scar and a part of my jaw muscles or fat were taken out. I really want a facial reconstructive surgery. Is fat grafting possible?

Facial deformity

+2

First you need to make sure that the abscess is completly gone, and the jaw bone and tooth root is not infected any more. After atleast 6 months you can have the reconstruction,

Fat graft might be the best way. Consult a BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON( AMERICAN BOARD OF PLASTIC SURGERY) for evaluation and work up and plan of treatment options.

If that area has become soft and is no longer firm, fat grafting is a very useful option in a situation like this.

+1
I clearly see the soft tissue indentation following your tooth infection. If that area has become soft and is no longer firm, fat grafting is a very useful option in a situation like this. Early on after surgery, no, but massage and other therapies such as ultrasound can help this area soften and relax. When all the induration is gone, then fat grafting offers an excellent opportunity to give you a significant improvement. Please be aware this may take more than one session, but is really an ideal consideration for the depression you have in the cheek. Always consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Joseph Hunstad, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Fat Grafting For Jaw Reconstruction

+1

The most important thing is to ensure that the infection has resolved.  Once that has been done, a careful evaluation of the remaining underlying anatomy has to be done to see what structures remain.  If you have some bony support remaining, fat grafting would likely be an excellent way to reconstruct this area.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Fat Grafting for Facial Reconstruction

+1

Fat grafting is certainly possible and while a very safe choice it may not last as long as you would like. My suggestion is to try fat grafting and actually overfill the area. If you need, a synthetic filler can augment the area down the line as some of the fat resorbs.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes but we need to reconstruct the jaw bone first

+1

Fat grafting can improve the area but to get the best results, we need to reconstruct the jaw bone first.  Feel free to contact us in order to further discuss the options, I have expertise in this area and can help.  

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Fat grafting works for several facial deformities

+1

Fat grafting is a great viable methods to fill facial defects with minimal morbidities, usually 66% of the graft takes making it sometimes important to repeat injections in 3 months. I think it is a great option to consider.

Fadi Nukta, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon

You may see improvment with fat grafting....

+1

As Dr Shureih points out, you should make sure the infection is completely gone and that you don't have an issue with underlying bone. If you had extensive bone loss you might need some bone grafting to build it up in addition to soft tissue filling with fat grafting. I have used fat grafting successfully to treat patients that were scarred in the Oklahoma City Muir Building bombing with good results. A board certified Facial Plastic Surgeon who has experience with fat grafting would be anonther speciality to consider. I hope this helps.

Ivan Wayne, MD
Oklahoma City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat Grafting is a GREAT Way to Reconstruct Many Facial Deficiencies

+1

Regarding: "Is Fat Grafting Possible in Face Reconstruction?
I had a fistula from a tooth infection 4 years ago. It developed a mass on my lower jaw so I had it removed. Unfortunately,it resulted in a really bad scar and a part of my jaw muscles or fat were taken out. I really want a facial reconstructive surgery. Is fat grafting possible
?"

You would be an IDEAL candidate for a facial grafting procedure.

To do so you need to collect all your operative and radiological studies. The Plastic surgeon would want to make sure that the infection is gone (no osteomyelitis is present) and understand how the surgeries were done (plates? bone grafts?) as well as what is left in the area. Based on this information, several sessions of fat grafting would be a GREAT way to reconstruct your facial deficiency.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Yes, fat grafting could work!

+1

Fat grafting could definitely work to help fill in the area of depression that is of concern to you.  I agree that you should be sure the infection is cleared up and agree that you should seek care from a surgeon with expertise in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery.

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon