Can Fat Grafting in the Cheekbones Be Absorbed in the Lower Cheeks? (photo)

I had a relatively thin face before recieving fat grafting in my cheekbones to help tighten my skin from a 100lb+ weightloss. But, ever since...it has made my entire face fat, even though I have lost 20 more pounds since getting the procedure. Could the fat have been absorbed by my body in the wrong places, like my cheeks and jaw? Or do you think the surgeon added it to those places without informing me? Anything I can do besides removing my buccal fat pads? It's been 5 months post-op.

Excess grafted fat in the lower cheek

+1

If the excess fat in the lower cheek (submalar area) persists you can attempt the following:

1. Steroid injections
  2. Smart Lipo
  3. Buccal fat removal
  4. Additional fat injections higher up over cheekbones

Can fat injected in the face migrate

+1

Fat injected in the face does not migrate.  The surgeon must have injected some in the lower face.  This can be corrected with Smart Lipo (laser) or possibly with Lipodissolve(injections which dissolve the fat).

Kenneth L. Stein, MD

Migrating fat transfer

+1

I wouldn't expect fat to migrate once placed. It would probably be best to talk to your surgeon about where the fat was placed and how much further change would be expected.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Fat grafting in cheeks and fat looking fatter

+1

It depends on where it was put in. I would consult with your physician to discuss the concerns and he can alter things for you. Steroid injections and micro liposuction can help you by taking away fat in certain areas and adding fat in other places to achieve your results.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat to cheekbones doesn't migrate.

+1

Fat to cheekbones doesn't migrate. You would have to ask your surgeon where he injected the fat. Only liposuction will remove it, not buccal fat removal.