Breast Reconstruction Rippling. Previous Fat Grafting to Help With Ripples. Minimal Results. Suggestions?(photo)

I am a 29 year olf female 1.5 years post breast reconstruction with submuscular high-profile mentor silicone implants (450cc). I am experiencing visible implant rippling (w/o bra only) on the R breast through the center cleavage and top of implant over the slope. I have had 3 fat grafting procedures (30 cc at a time) to help with the rippling - minimal help. Should I continue with the fat grafting, are there other procedures I should look at, Or is this as good as it gets? No lat flap. Thanks!

More tissue to help with rippling.

+2

You need more tissue to help with the rippling. This can either be more of your own tissue (fat grafting) or biological tissue (Alloderm, Surgimend etc). Thirty mililiters of fat grafting may also not be enough. I'm sitting in the OR where I just finished grafting 125 ml to a breast (different type of reconstruction on a different patient so don't compare).

Or you may need a sheet of artificial dermis to help crate a barrier between the implant and your skin.  Your surgeon can help you decide what the best options for you may be.

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reconstruction Rippling. Previous Fat Grafting to Help With Ripples. Minimal Results. Suggestions?

+1

From your posted photo I think your result is excellent. So try additional fat grafts  to slightly improve the wrinkling. 

Alloderm or Strattice to improve breast reconstruction results

+1

From the photos you posted it appears that you have a beautiful result. I would agree with fat grafting as the first option for improvement of rippling in a case like yours, but if you have had 3 sessions and still need better coverage then an acellular dermal matrix graft such as Strattice or Alloderm would be worth considering. Disadvantage is that it is a bigger surgery than fat grafting.

Breast Reconstruction Rippling

+1

Based on your bikini top photo, it looks like you have a great result from your mastectomy reconstruction. congratulations.   Unfortunately, as you know, the mastectomy leaves behind thin skin.  So you have very little coverage over your implants (even with the under the muscle or submuscle/acellular dermal matrix techniques).   Rippling is a limitation of any implant based reconstruction.  One option may be to go larger with your implant size to help fill the implant pocket,  However, this will not totally remove rippling.  Another option is to consider the form-stable silicone gel implants that are available in limited investigational capacities.   Hope this helps.

Web reference: http://www.basuplasticsurgery.com

You do not need bigger implants- you need fat

+1

Pre expansion followed by fat grafting can yield long term fat survival

over your reconstruction- i have demonstrated this in over 

30 cases  and have presented this at the Baker Gordon 2012 in Miami.  

See the attached link and video

Best regards,

Dtt deLvecchio

Web reference: http://www.bakergordonsymposium.com/day3.php