Is Fat Grafting for the Breast Recommened or Safe After a Bilateral Prophylactic Mastectomy?

I am 23 and in one week I am having a bilateral prophylactic mastectomy with expanders to implants. I just heard about fat grafting. I am 5' 3", 115lbs and most of my fat are my D size breast. I plan to stay my size or a little smaller when I get implants & know I can't get to that size just by fat grafting. Is it safe if I decide to do a smaller implant then later do fat grafting to help give it a more natural feel? Is there much research about these yet?

Fat transfer is recommended for breast reconstructions in some cases

+2

Fat transfer is an excellent choice for mastectomy reconstruction in some cases, with exclusions.  I encourage you to visit sites like the Miami Breast Center to view a very large series of mastectomy reconstructions.  The procedure is very laborious, but in my opinion it is worth evaluating if it fits your personal options in terms of lifestyle.

There is a wealth of research on the matter, but it is not so easily available to patients, as most studies are relatively recent.  Dr. Delay published a study in 2009 of 880 procedures performed over 10 years with no increased rate of breast tumors.  Multiple others are available.  The American Society of Plastic Surgeons published a position statement in 2009 that is available as well.  The Annals of Oncology in May of this year published a study with 321 patients treated with "lipofilling" for breast reconstruction between 1997 and 2008 with no increased risk of tumor recurrence.

I recommend you contact a physician/center with experience on this matter, and explore your options.  There is an ongoing FDA study on this matter as well.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Prophylactic mastectomy and consideration for later fat grafting after immediate reconstruction

+2

The present course of action that you have scheduled is prudent. Later on you can consider fat grafting to further embellish and augment your results. However, at your weight, you may not have bottomless resevoir of fat available for the fat grafting so I would not necessarily request smaller than reasonable implants.

Though usage of fat grafting in breast reconstruction and even for breast augmentation is becoming more popular and commonplace and we haven't seen any major health related risks in the short term, we still don't have enough information on whether or not there are any significant negative long term consequences.

Web reference: http://www.arizonabreast.com

Breast Reconstruction Using Fat Grafting

+2

Breast reconstruction using fat grafting is a viable and safe alternative to expander-implant or free tissue transfer in the right circumstances.

There has been extensive research and clinical experience in this field.  There have been several clinical teaching courses, including the Miami Fat Grafting course directed by Dr. Roger Khouri. See the links below.

You must have sufficient fat, however, to achieve the size you want, and this will be the limiting problem.  If you have moderate excess fat, then perhaps a B cup, or about 200 cc per breast may be achievable.  

The other issue is that the grafting is done in 2-5 stages and requires the use of an external tissue expander, called the Brava device.  This device was first used to try to enhance breasts without implants or fat grafting. It has been found to be an essential and effective adjunct to breast enhancement or reconstruction with fat grafting alone.

It works be applying negative pressure to the breast over a period of weeks. This induces a rich vascular supply to the tissue under the skin. This  vascular bed, as it is called, is then receptive to transplantation and permanent survival of your transferred fat.

I have attended this course and believe the results are credible.  

If a patient is too thin, however, or wants more than the available fat that can be removed from their body can deliver, then expander-implant reconstruction is an excellent method to achieve a very natural breast reconstruction.  In fact, with a nipple sparing prophylactic mastectomy, using an infra-mammary incision, a very natural and soft breast reconstruction with minimal visible scarring can be achieved.

Web reference: http://www.plasticandreconstructivesurgery.com/natural-breast-reconstruction.html

Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting for breast reconstruction

+1

Fat grafting for breast reconstruction is an option fo breast reconstruction for small to moderate sized breasts. One of the main limiting factors is the amount of fat you have to donate to fat grafting.  At 115 lbs, you probably don't have a lot of donor sites. 

There is not a wealth of research yet regarding this but preliminary studies are promising and more data is being collected and published every day. 

Fat grafting techniques are improving which is leading to improved, longlasting take of the fat.

Reconstruction.

+1

I assume  you are BRCA positive. If so, I would also assume you have had discussions regarding the timing of mastectomies and/or oophorectomy. If not, you should do so. There are a number of very good surgeons in Houston to pick from. If you proceed, initial expander placement followed by implants is my preference. Skin and nipple/areolar sparing should be highly considered. With the newer gel implants & dermal matrix grafts, I almost never go sub-pectoral any more. With the size of implant needed, very little of it is covered by muscle and the consequences may be very problematic (pain, shoulder mobility, breast distortion, etc.). A two stage procedure allows control of the pocket after mastectomy (even with dermal matrix graft) and the volume selection to your satisfaction is more precise. Fat grafts for touch-up contouring and feathering is possible, but not as your primary method of reconstruction.

Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

You are not a good candidte for fat grafting alone

+1

You should ask your surgeon about nipple sparing mastectomy and see if you are a candidate. I would think that you do not have enough fat for fat grafting alone to give good result. Implant reconstruction and fat grafting later on can be a good option. You also ask your plastic surgeon about avoiding the expander and do the implant reconstruction post mastectomy if you are not getting radiation treatment. What is the reason for the mastectomy?

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting to the breast

+1

Your plan is a good one.  To be a D you'll need implants or DIEP flaps after bilateral mastectomies.  If you choose implants, then fat grafting down the track will reliably improve the feel and naturalness, so go for it.  Given your youth, you should not have flaps, implants would be the best option as it will not scar you elsewhere or affect future pregnancies through abdominal wall surgery.

Not sure why you need expanders if you can have a skin sparing mastectomy.  However, this can be a good option as it allows your surgeon to control mastectomy flap skin tension in the early postop period.

It sounds like you are in good hands.

Good luck for your surgery.

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting after breast reconstruction

+1

While it may be difficult to obtain a "D" cup with fat grafting alone, the use of fat grafting as an adjunct in breast reconstruction is becoming accepted.  Fat grafting can be used to improve contour irregularities, rippling, or minor asymmetries following reconstruction.  It is less commonly used to increase volume following breast reconstruction.  These are questions you may want to discuss with your plastic surgeon.  As to its safety, we do know that grafted fat may appear as calcifications on mammograms; however, it is believed to be safe to perform following mastectomy.

Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

No evidence for fat grafting danger in the breast area

+1

While there have been no direct studies looking in the future longterm after fat grafting, concerns about fat grafting resulting in mammographic abnormalites or impairing breast cancer diagnosis have been alleviated. The only problematic issue we see with fat grafting is absorption of the fat over time, and most maintain about 50% of the fat grafted. Second and third procedures may be performed to reach a better end point. I have enjoyed performing fat grafting to the breast in my practice. I think it's great for smoothing reconstructive patients or for achieving enhancement for cosmetic breast surgery.

Web reference: http://www.drshermak.com/breast-surgery-baltimore/fat-transfer/

Studies so far indicate the procedure is safe

+1

You are correct that getting to a D cup in one procedure is not possible with fat grafting. However with multiple procedures and use of the BRAVA® device, and assuming you have adequate fat, there is not really a limit on size, within reason. Clinical studies to date indicate that breast reconstruction with fat has a similar risk profile to other forms of breast reconstruction in terms of recurrence risk etc. In your case, you have no actual history of cancer, so there should be no issue of recurrence. I provide the references below for a recent recent large study of 880 cases reported by DeLay et al from France, Also quoted is a personal experience study of Dr. Ilouz the originator of liposuction and Petit et al from France.

Longer term follow up is definitely required as with any cancer issues for more definitive information, though at this point there are no obvious problems.

It is important that any surgeon doing these procedures enroll their patients in long term studies similar to the one that I participate in which is a multiinstitutional IRB study of lipofilling for breast reconstruction in combnation with the BRAVA® external expansion device

Delay, E., Garson, S., Tousson,G.,Sinna, R. Aesthetic Surgery Journal 29, 5 September/October 2009

Fat Injection to the Breast: Technique,
Results, and Indications Based on
880 Procedures Over 10 Years

Illouz, Y., Sterodimas, A. Aesth Plast Surg Received: 25 March 2009 / Accepted: 11 May 2009

Springer Science+Business Media, LLC and International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery 2009

Autologous Fat Transplantation to the Breast: A Personal

Technique with 25 Years of Experience

J. Y. Petit1,*, E. Botteri2, V. Lohsiriwat1,3, M. Rietjens1, F. De Lorenzi1, C. Garusi1, F. Rossetto1, S. Martella1, A. Manconi1, F. Bertolini4, G. Curigliano5, P. Veronesi6,7, B. Santillo2 and N. Rotmensz2

Ann Oncol (2011)
doi: 10.1093/annonc/mdr158
First published online: May 24, 2011

Locoregional recurrence risk after lipofilling in breast cancer patients

Web reference: http://annonc.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2011/05/21/annonc.mdr158.full