Fat Grafting for Patients in Their 20's, Too Young?

I'm 28 and have lost a lot of fat in my cheeks over the past few years. My face used to be round and full, and now it's angular and gaunt, with some nasolabial folds. I look tired all the time. I'm interested in fat grafting, but it seems like all the before/after pictures I see of fat grafting patients who are older (40's and up). I've heard some surgeons say that they do not like to perform this procedure on patients under 30. Would you recommend fat grafting for people in their 20's?

Fat grafting for young patients

+2

Dont worry you are not Heidi Montag. I have performed fat grafting to reshape faces of many teenagers and young adults.There are many procedures young patients benefit from. I work with young actresses in Hollywood and sometimes they are indeed ignored for what they need. Rhinoplasty, neck lipo,and chin aug and ear pinning are accepted for young patients...Why not fat grafting for cheekbones, lips,under eyes and jawline augmentation..Isnt feeling attractice what it's all about? 

Fat Grafting for the Face

+2

Fat grafting can be performed at any age, so if you have facial fat loss I definitely do not see your age as a contraindication to facial fat grafting. A full assessment by a plastic surgeon will help to assess what areas of your face would be best targeted and whether there are any other treatments that will be able to make you look less tired and more refreshed and youthful.

Jill Tomlinson, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Fat transfer can be done at any age, if done correctly...

+2

Fat grafting can be done at any age. Fat grafting is even done in children in some cases for reconstruction. They key is in the aesthetic sense of the surgeon, one would not look normal with too much fat in any area of the face. The key is balancing the entire face for the right aesthetic outcome, no matter what age.

William Franckle, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Facial Fat Grafting for Younger Patient in 20's

+2

There are many non surgical alternatives to facial fat grafting. For younger patients who want to avoid surgery, these minimally invasive procedures produce great results and help maintain your youthful appearance.

Facial fat grafting is normally performed in patients who are older than 40, either alone or with a face lift. In addition to sagging skin, age results in atrophy or loss of facial volume that fat may help restore.

The following are great alternatives to fat grafting to consider. Look at these treatments first, before seeking plastic surgery. Speak with a surgeon who can perform a comprehensive evaluation and determine which treatment or treatments would be appropriate for you. Fat injection may or may not be an appropriate option for you. Best of luck.

• basic skin care
  • skin resurfacing (chemical peel, laser treatment)
  • Botox Cosmetic, Dysport, Xeomin
  • Injectable filler (collagen, hyaluronic acid, Restylane, Juvederm, Radiesse, etc)
  • Laser treatment

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting for patient in 20's

+2

Certainly, you could have this procedure.  But you are a little young and it is very probable that a commercial filler would address your concerns and be much less expensive.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fat grafting for patients in their 20's.

+2

I have used fat grafting for 35years but not for early aging. You would be better served by using Radiesse or Juvede. Cheap, quick and no down time. The surgeon makes less money but this is better for the patient.

Photos would be helpful

+1

I will respectfully disagree that you are "too young" for fat grafting. If the anatomic problem is fat atrophy, then fat grafting will address that problem.

Now if you tell me that you have lost significant amounts of weight, and your current weight is not your stable weight, then that would be more of a concern for me to consider fat grafting, because the grafted fat will also fluctuate with your body weight.

Best of luck

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon