Fat Grafting for Lips?

In what ways are fillers from fat grafting superior to more common fillers such as collagen or Restylane for lip augmentation?

Hyaluronic Acid Fillers are Best for Lip Enhancement

+1

The best products for lip augmentation are hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane, Perlane and Juvéderm.  These fillers provide smooth full lips without lumps or bumps and they are also great for filling in fine lines and recontouring the arch of the lip.  Fat, on the other hand, can be lumpy and unpredictable (i.e. you don’t know how much will survive as some does reabsorb). Fat also is particularly difficult to place in the lip due to the amount of movement that occurs in the mouth.  I have seen cases where the fat did take and it gave the patient a monkey like appearance.  Fat injections are one of my least favorite ways to fill the lips. Stick to the tried and true!

Palm Springs Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

None, IMHO.  Fat transfer is not as reliable as fillers like Restylane and Juvederm nor is it as effective in Lip Augmentation as Alloderm or silastic Lip Implants. 

Web reference: http://www.thepalmercodeinstitute.com

Implants, fat grafting or hyaluronic acid fillers all do great in the lips.

+1

Lips can do well with a variety of treatments and should be customized according to what you want.  Fillers ($550/syringe) are great to start with and once you find what size and look you like then do implants ($1500-2000/implant) to permanently fix your lips.  Fat grafting ($1500-2500) is still an option used by some docs and can do well in some cases but not most.  Combinations of the above are also used when needed.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

Web reference: http://www.TheBestLipoDoc.com/drdavidhansen/landing/

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Fat grafting vs hyaluronic acids for lips

+1

Fat is theoretically a permanent construct that could last forever, but for some reason it does not "hold" too well in the lips.  Often fat injections need to be repeated because not all the fat "takes."  Hyaluronic acid fillers are nice because they give consistent results but need to be repeated.

Fat grafting of lips vs. fillers.

+1
Fat grafting lasts forever if properly done. I have patients I did lip fat grafting on 30 years ago and still have their full lips. Fillers are temporary---about 1 year or less.

Fat Grafting to Lips Is Both Good And Bad

+1

In talking about lip augmentation, there are a number of different ways that this can be achieved.  For some it is an injectable, others it is their own fat, and still others it is an actual lip implant.  The difference between the fillers such as Juvaderm/ Restylane and a patient's own fat is that the Juvaderm/ Restylane is not permanent, where as your own fat should be.  Juvaderm/restyalne only lasts 12-18 months, whereas your own fat should be permanent once your body incorporates it.  However, the fillers are smoother in their injections and have less chance of a bumby appearance or feel to then as compared to fat.  Also, fat injections often require multiple treatments since only about 50-60% of the fat will actually "take."  I hope this helps.

Barrington Plastic Surgeon