Is Fat Grafting Alone Enough To Treat Sagging Skin and Marionette Lines? (photo)

Is fat grafting alone enough to take care of the marionette lines and the sagging skin or is mid face lift the better choice for this face?

Fat Transfer Complementary but does not replace a facelift

+1

Fat transfer is complementary to a facelift procedure but does not replace it. In my opinion you will require both (mini facelift like a MACS or LiteLift) and fat transfer to the pre-jowl area (between the chin and jowl) and cheeks and the lift procedure to rejuvenate loose skin.

Deep lines - what to do?

+1

You have some deeply etched nasolabial lines.  These are always a challenge to treat to the patient's satisfaction.

A filler - fat or HA - will certainly help soften their appearance, but will not eliminate them.  Undermining the area with a surgi-wire release is another minimally invasive technique that may help.

Adding a facelift in addition to the filler would be optimal.

All the best!

Thomas Fiala, MD

Fat grafting will definitely improve...

+1

the appearance of your nasolabial folds, but it will not completely eliminate it. Neither will a mini-facelift, but the combination would be more optimal.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fat grafting and mini face lift a good choice

+1

Based on your photos it appears that you are a good candidate for fat grafting and a mini face lift.  A midface lift (cheek lift) would be low on the list.

Sam Naficy, MD

Will fat grafting fix me?

+1

In your particular case I think fat grafting alone will not improve your facial contour enough. I would reccomend you look into a facelift that is combined with well placed fat injections to fill your NL folds and marionette lines. I do this all the time as part of the minimal access cranial suspension (MACS) facelift that I commonly perform. This facelift uses minimal incisions and carefully placed sutures to reposition the midface and works great with fat used to blunt the deep facial folds you have. Best of luck! Dr Kerr

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Minimal procedures often yield minimal results.

+1

Hi,

This is a very reasonable question.  The answer is that you need real surgery.  A mid face lift (probably together with fat transfer) should give you a natural youthful look.  Good luck!

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Fat transfer to the face

+1

The picture posted shows significant loss of volume in the face . Fat transfer can improve your deep naso labial fold and marionette lines. You may not need a face lift after proper placement of the fat in the face.

Fat Grafting or Face Lift

+1

Fat Grafting and the Face Lift treat different problems but can be used together or alone to achieve goals of facial rejuvenation.  In your case, I think a mini-lift and mid-facelift with endotines would provide the best, longest lasting result and correction of the nasolabial folds and some improvement in the marionette lines.  However, there are some other benefits of fat grafting for you.  I would use fat in the nasolabial folds, cheeks and on top of the cheek bones.  This would help with your volume loss, but if used alone, would not help with the sagging skin.

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift to correct excess skin, then fillers.

+1

Facelift to correct excess skin, then fillers is a better solution. Fat grafting which I have done for 35 years will not correct sagging skin and ofter causes lumpiness, etc. I would need to see and feel your face to determine if a sheek lift is also indicated.

Fat Grafting or Lifting?

+1

From your photos, it appears that you have lost volume due to age or weight loss. Without a full exam, it appears that you could have a significant benefit from fat grafting alone. There is the possibility that you could still need a lifting procedure after, but it is worth looking into a fat grafting procedure alone. Fat also has been shown to improve skin appearance and texture as a side benefit to the procedure. It can usually be done under local anesthesia alone and is well tolerated by patients. 

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD