Am I a Candidate for Fat Grafting for Under Eye Hollows? (photo)

I've always had very thin skin under my eyes that I inherited from my mother. I also have my dad's bone structure so the shadowing makes my dark circles even worse. When I stretch the skin I can see there is no discolouration I am very interested in fat grafting as a semi permanent solution, Im happy to fly to america to get it done, these dark circles are seriously affecting my mental health Do i look like a good candidate for under eye surgery? what is my best option? thanks

Lower lid fat grafting candidate

+2

From the photo you provided it does appear that improving the volume of your lower eyelid and cheek would help with the shadowing you see there. Fat grafting provides an excellent, customizable method of improving the fullness of the face. As you mentioned, the bone structure of your cheek is predisposing you to the hollowing. Rebuilding the underlying skin and soft tissue support should improve the overall contours there.

Fat grafting under eye

+1

Based on your photos it appears that you would be a good candidate for fat grafting to the under eye hollows and upper cheek area.  The fact you feel that the dark circles are affecting your mental health is concerning.

Sam Naficy, MD

Fat grafting under the eyes...

+1

Fat injection works great under the eyes.  It is a very simple process to go through and can give long lasting results.  Under a local anesthetic, the fat can be harvested from a love handle.  It is then processed and injected under the eyes in a couple of sessions spread three months apart.  The fat is predictable, long lasting and looks very natural.  Certain fillers like Juvederm can be unpredictable under the eyes due to the fact they can absorb water and cause swelling.  From your photo, you look like you would be a good candidate, but be sure to be seen by a board certified facial plastic or plastic surgeon first.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting to lower eyelids

+1

You are a good candidate for volume replacement in the periorbital area.  Specifically addressing your concerns fat grafting or restylane would be a good option.  I would recommending a non surgical approach with restylane first, and it should last upward of a year and if at that point you wanted something with more staying power consider fat grafting.  Undertstand these things need to be injected deep and still the risk of contour irregularities still exist.

Robert Schwarcz, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fat Grafting and Arcus Marginalis Release are the best solution for correction of lower eyelid Hollow Eyes

+1

Open Fat grafting, NOT FAT INJECTION, after Release of the Arcus marginalis is an excellent solution for correction of Hollow Eyes of the lower eyelid.

The depression that you see below the lower eyelid creates a shadow which causes the dark circle under the eye. This depression often called the Nasojugal Fold or Arcus Deformity is caused by the attachment of the Arcus Marginalis to the bone of the eye socket.

Releasing the Arcus Marginalis and placing a Fat Graft underneath the depression will correct the dark circle and improve the hollow look.

Fat Injection or fat transfer cannot correct the attachment of the Arcus Marginalis and without this the deformity will not be corrected.

See the link below for further information.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Tear trough fat grafting

+1

Indeed this is a difficult problem to fix and there are several options. 

1)   Implants

2)   Fillers such as Restylane and Juvaderm

3)   Fat grafts

4)   Midface lift

Personally, I prefer to start with fillers and see how the patient responds.  If favorable, then a trial of fat grafting may be in order.  And as many of the other responders have already mentioned, this is a very difficult area to treat.

James Wire, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting for under eye hollows

+1

It does look like you may be a candidate for fat transfer.  But this procedure is best for restoring volume to the whole face and is not always wonderful in this location where the skin is quite thin and there is a reasonable chance of lumpiness even when done by the most experienced surgeons.    I would suggest that before you seek a long term solution to this distressing problem, that you consider an HA filler (my choice is Restylane) to see if you are happy with the results achieved.  It may be all that you require for now.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

It does work

+1

Fat grafting does work for under-eye hollows.It may need to be repeated after few months for fine tuning the results.You should consult a surgeon experienced in facial fat grafting to understand the procedure further.

Anup Dhir, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting for under eye hollows

+1

The addition of volume, with either fat grafts or fillers such as Restylane, Juvederm, or Radiesse is often a great solution to the tired eye appearance from under eye hollows (tear troughs.) You would need an expert opinion based on a personal examination to determine if it is right for ou.

Richard Baxter, MD

Facial Fat Grafting

+1

Thank you for providing the photo. It appears you have an area of concavity below your lower lids. I believe fat grafting would be helpful to blend the contours of the lower lid and cheek. This area of the lower lid can be a problem for the inexperienced surgeon. If not done correctly, the fat placed in this area can lead to contour irregularities. I advise you find a surgeon with experience in facial reshaping with fat.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD