Fat Grafting for Chin Enhancement? I have already had an unsuccessful chin implant and I am looking for alternatives.

Has anyone had a successful fat grafting for chin enhancement and would have a surgeon to recommend? I am looking for for a qualified surgeon to do this for me. I have already had an unsuccessful chin implant and I am looking for alternatives.

Fat Grafting for Chin Enhancement....Me Thinks There Are Better Options

+1

Hi Ard,

I have not been very impressed by the results of fat grafting to the chin.  I prefer chin implants in patient's willing to undergo a minor surgical procedure, and either Radiesse or a series of Sculptra injections for those who prefer non-surgical treatment.  I have seen too many patients from other practices who have excess fat in the chin region from previous fat transfer.  It is very difficult to remove fat from this area when it is overdone.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Fat Grafting for enhancing the chin

+1

My preference is to use structural fat grafting, as much as possible, to enhance facial features. In many cases, the need for a solid implant can be eliminated by the careful and meticulous grafting of a patient's own fat. 

Moderate enhancement of chin projection in appropriate patients can dramatically enhance the profile, in a manner that is completely natural-appearing. It is remarkable how increasing chin prominence in some patients will reduce the apparent prominence of the nose, and restore an overall sense of harmony and balance to facial features.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting for the chin

+1

Dear ard42870,

• Fat grafting can be used for the chin
  • It may take more than one treatment depending on how much augmentation you would like
  • Also, we should explore why your chin implant was unsuccessful
  • For more information, feel free to call our office

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Fat Grafting For Chin Augmentation

+1

Your question is timely in that fat grafting is becoming very popular again and not many surgeons have explored the limits of fat as a graft material. In my experience it is very difficult to use fat as a material to expand areas where the skin is thick and tight (such as the chin) or scarred such as deep acne scars. It may be more feasible if the skin can be stretched prior to grafting so that the grafts are not under tension much like removing breast implants and replacing with fat. The answer to your question is no, fat grating cannot be used as an alternative to genioplasty or chin implants for chin augmentation. 

Paul S. Howard, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Fat Grafting, Filler, Chin Implants, Osseous Genioplasty

+1

Although chin implant surgery is the most popular, fat grafting may be reasonable depending upon your anatomy and goals.  Filler for bony overlay augmentation may be a possibility as well.  In addition, surgery for bony change and chin enhancement (osseous genioplasty) can be used.