I am male, my chin is not inline with my lips, it is just about less than a cm backwards. Fat Grafting for Chin Enhancement?

Hello, docs. I am male, my chin is not inline with my lips, it is just about less than a cm backwards, i dont want a chin implant or artefill (my own fat), if a fat graft is used to enhance my chin and (good surgeon) i get one of the possible side effects, (contour irregularities lumps and bumps, poor distribution) can it be fixed, thats what is worrying me, if it can be fixed then i shouldnt be worried and if everything went great and it looks perfect, can i get a problem after a year or more?

Fat transfer for chin augmenations

+1

Dear supraman,

Yes fat transfers are great for chin augmentation.  You can tailor the fat to customize it and make the chin look the way you want it to look.  Some people need projection (how much the chin sticks out), some need the chin longer, or taller (on frontal view), and you can do both with fat.  Lumps and bumps are more rare with experienced fat transfer surgeons, they are fixed with steroid injections and microliposuction.  I agree with the rest of the docs that you should always be prepared for a touch up in about a year. 

Nima Shemirani

Fat Grafting for Chin Augmentation

+1

I have successfully used fat for chin augmentations in patients like yourself that wanted to use their own tissue rather than an implant. The possible complications you mention can be avoided by an experienced surgeon. You may need additional fat placement in the future if some fat does not survive after injection.

Fat Graft Chin Augmentation

+1

A cm of recession is a significant chin deficiency. That is asking a lot for fat grafting to achieve a good chin augmentation result. The problem is going to be one of how much fat survives and how many times will you have to repeat it to get a satisfactory result. There is also the issue of lumps and bumps as you have mentioned. While fat grafting for chin augmentation is not an unreasonable option, be prepared that it will likely take more than one surgery to be successful and has the potential of asymmetry or irregularities. The outcome from fat grafting in terms of contour and shape is not determined by how it appears in weeks or a month but how it appears six months or later. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Wonderful option

+1

With what you describe, this would be a wonderful option for you . As you hv mentioned above, finding a surgeon with lots of experience in this is key. Only problem after a year may be a need for a touch up. Hope it works out well for you.

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

Every chin is different but for most fat injections are better than implants

+1

If your surgeon determines that the main issue with your chin is a lack of soft tissue volume then fat injections (harvested properly and done over 2-3 seesions) provide a very natural and effective result. However if your problem is due to more of "lack" of bone or a lower jaw that protrudes backwards then an implant will serve you better. Also if you want to widen your chin an implant with extended arms does better than fat injections. Lumps and bumps can be avoided by careful fat injection techniques and watching for "calcification" of the fat by your surgeon. For majority of patients fat is an excellent way to go. Dr. Kamran Jafri

Kamran Jafri, MD

Fat grafting as a chin implant

+1

This is an excellent procedure done by someone experienced in fat grafting..It obviates an implant. There s a possibility you may need more fat in a year...So what it can be done under local anaesthesia sitting in an or chair and takes a half hour at most

Richard Ellenbogen, MD