Is Fat Grafting to Breasts a Bad Idea?

I have uneven breasts. One is 7 inches across, one 8 in; I'm 20. A PS told me the difference is around 150 cc or a little less. The asymmetry is purely volume. I do NOT want implants. Just not for me. Can I have fat transfer to the smaller breast to make them even? Is this usually effective? I have no history of any kind of cancer in my family. I'd even be happy to increase the A by half a cup size! Just want to fit in my bras without a pad. I don't want to use BRAVA. Thanks for your advice.

Fat to the breast

+1

It sounds as though this is a great indication for fat grafting since you don't want implants and only need a small amount of volume.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting to the breast is a safe procedure.

+1

Fat grafting, particularly smaller volumes, is a very safe procedure. The issues of concern involve disrupting the ability to properly screen the breasts for cancer later on. This concern is alleviated by injecting the fat into the proper planes of the breast - under the gland on top of the muscle, and in the subcutaneous plane. Smaller volume enhancements do have a much higher predictability as to overall size increase. Complications from fat necrosis, cysts, or contour deformities are also lessened with smaller volumes. It should be noted that revision procedures may be necessary to achieve the ultimate goal as fat grafting does lose some volume over time as not all of the fat placed will stick around.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

There is a growing body of evidence that fat transfer to the breast is safe and effective.

+1

Thank you for your question. There is a growing body of evidence that fat grafting to the breast is safe and effective. That is a hard question to answer with 100% certainty.

There are several surgeons in the Miami Dade area that perform fat transfer surgery.

To see if you are a good candidate, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Fat transfer for Asymmetry?

+1

The answer is yes , you can do fat grafting for an asymmetry of that size. I would recommend BRAVA, as I have seen improved fat grafting survival with the device, is it absolutely essential, no but you may require and additional session. Good luck

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

You appear to be an ideal fat grafting candidate

+1

Fat grafting is particularly valuable for improving asymmetry of the breast, either alone or in combination with implants. The beauty of fat grafting is that it can be placed exactly where needed to not only improve volume asymmetry, but also differences in width or shape. Generally approximately 150-175cc augmentation is possible with a single fat graft procedure without BRAVA. Though BRAVA is not essential, it does improve the survival and predictability of fat grafts to the breasts. At our facility using the Liquid Goldtm approach to fat grafting, it is also possible to store fat in our lipobank, to simplify the process if repeat or touchup procedures are needed. For more information please take a look at our website discussing fat grafting for breast augmentation and reconstruction.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Fat grafting for asymmetry

+1

I am still very conservative in recommending this procedure, but I agree that your particular case would benefit from fat grafting above the other options.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Is Fat Grafting to Breasts a Bad Idea?

+1

It sounds as if the fat grafting procedure may be a good answer for you. Find a surgeon in your area who is experienced in the procedure for an examination and he can give you an answer as to whether it would be for you.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Is Fat Grafting to Breasts a Bad Idea?

+1

Since you have excluded the other enlargement possibilities, what you have left is reducing the larger breast, or fat grafting to the lower breast.

You have to have an adequate source of fat elsewhere in your body. You have to understand that there is a  chance of needing a second operation to get the sizes as close as possible. 

Actually, a nice result with fat grafting will be better than a nice result with a single implant reconstruction anyway, so it is not a bad choice.

Thank you for your question, best wishes.