Fat Grafting for Breast Implant Coverage Scars?

my PS told me that he could fix the rippling and flatness of my implant with fat grafting. My concern is that I don't have much fat and I scar very ugly. I'm also concerned with how the area that the fat is taken from going to look like afterwards? I had a 2nd opinion from a Dr. and he told me that the place may not look so smooth afterwards. Will the fat grafting leave very visible scars? I might decide to take the fat from the outer side of my thighs and I'm worried about the scar.

Fat grafting for implant rippling

+1
Fat grafting is an extremely useful technique that has gained significantly in the past few years. You have not submitted a picture so I cannot actually see the area you need treated. Small areas are the easiest areas to treat. The fat can be harvested, processed and then re-injected. This is more cost effective than placing any of the acellular dermal matrix products. The only areas where scarring should be visible would be where the liposuction was performed.

Fat Grafting

+1

Fat grafting is a suitable option at this can easily hide many of the ripples caused by implants.  If the fat is harvested correctly, you can achieve an aesthetically pleasing result, without significant scarring.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Fat grafts to cover rippling from breast implants

+1

Fat is probably the best material you can use (besides tissue matrix at $1800x2) plus surgery with anesthesia. Fat can be harvested and injected through an 18gauge or 16 gauge needle hole which leaves no scar afterwards. Fat injections can be done under local and/or oral sedation. If you need more fat, another session can be done.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting is a great way to increase the soft tissue coverage of the breast implant and hid rippling

+1

When a patient has very limited soft tissue coverage of her breast implants, there is often a problem of being able to see and feel the ripples which are present with all breast implants. Saline implants ripple dramatically more than gel implants. If you have saline implants they could be exchanged for gel with some improvement. 

Fat grafting is an extremely effective way to add soft tissue to the breast and hide the ripples. It is almost always possible to get fat from the medial thighs even in very thine women. The collection of the fat and the insertion of the fat is done through very small incisions which all most never cause bad scars. If your surgeon has had a good deal of experience with fat grafting you should do well.  The plastic surgeon who told you that the fat could be uneven is correct, but that is unlikely and probably indicates that they do not has much if any experience with fat grafting of the breast. 

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

Fat grafting would work if done properly

+1

The result of any procedure will depend on the patient  and surgeon's skill. For the fat grafting the technique are different from surgeon to surgeon. This is a newer technique for the breast enhancement and you need to make sure your plastic surgeon has enough experience.You can check my web site for some examples.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting to cover rippling

+1
Dear JCSM, It is difficult to cover rippling of an implant, but fat grafting is one of the best ways of doing it. The volumes of fat harvested are usually small for this sort of thing and so there shouldn't be much noticeable difference at the donor site. Make sure that your surgeon has some experience of liposuction. The harvesting and the injection of the fat is done through small stab incisions that are usually pretty well hidden. Good luck.

Jonathan J. Staiano, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

The Scars from Fat Grafting are Very Small

+1

Dear JCSM,

Fat grafting is usually performed through very small incisions about 2.5 - 4 mm in size. Thus, the resulting scars are usually quite small.

To be a good candidate for fat grafting, you do need to have sufficient fat elsewhere "to donate."

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD