Fat Grafting and Swelling, Desperate for Some Answers?

I had a revision rhinoplasty and a fat transfer to my cheeks and a little under my eyes. After seven days I took the cast of my nose and it looked great but my cheeks were still very swollen. It is now 6 weeks after the surgery and the majority of swelling went away but when I smile or talk, I can see my face expression is completely different from my own face before the surgery. I am freaking out because I am not sure if I am still swollen or this is how the results will be.

+1

Combining facial fat grafting with a rhinoplasty with result in more swelling than having either performed alone.  This may take 3 months or more before the swelling is gone in areas that have been grafted.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Swelling after revision rhinoplasty and fat transfer

+1

Dear palina,

1. Combining 2 procedures, especially a revision rhinoplasty, which the nose alone stays swollen for weeks to months can lead to prolonged overall swelling when combined with fat transfer
  2. Give it another 6 weeks as the fat settles out, where was the fat injected?
  3. It will all get better, and if you are still freaking out, please call your surgeon so they can see you and reassure you

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Swelling after fat transfer and rhinoplasty

+1

Swelling is expected after any operation and fat transfer and rhinoplasty is no exception.  It may take up to 3 months for the swelling to fully subside.  

Facial Feeling and Movement after Fat Grafting

+1

This is swelling and stiffness of the tissues from the combined procedures. Remember fat add volume so it makes the tissues fuller and takes awhile to normalize into the surrounding tissues. It will take up to 3 months after such surgery for the face to feel and move completely normally again.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Swelling six weeks after fat grafting to the face can still be present.

+1

Some of the observations you make about the appearance and function of your face are probably due to swelling. Even after six weeks swelling can still reside after fat grafting to the face.