Fat Graft Survival on Breasts: General Anesthesia Together with a Breast Lift VS. Local Anesthesia Separately Later/before?

For survival of the fat cells, would it be better to do a breast lift and a fat transfer to the breasts (harvest from stomach and arms) in one operation or two? A breast lift is under general anesthesia, and a fat transfer on it's own can be local anesthesia? Would like to avoid going under twice. I've heard that the local anesthesia stuff could be bad for the fat cells, so general might be better? But done all together, with trauma to the area, they might not make new blood vessels as well?

Number Surgeries for Lift and Fat Transfer

In my practice I usually do both procedures at once. In general there is a limit to how much fat can be transferred at one time (about 1/2 cup size) so you more than one procedure may be required to receive the results you want. The type of anesthesia recommended for #FatTransferToBreast is dependent on several factors all which center around your safety and comfort level. In my practice we often use oral sedation with local anesthesia for many types of cases including the one you mentioned. However, we generally do not use this technique if you have sleep apnea, anxiety attacks, claustrophobic, or if the procedure will take more than 3 hours. This is a decision that will be made after consultation with your plastic surgeon. If you are in good health, then general anesthesia and IV sedation are also good options.
Swelling occurs regardless of the technique and goes away progressively. The amount of fat available and the best amount to inject is determined by your surgeon not the technique. Dr. Nichter

Breast lift and fat transfer may need to be separated for optimal fat take.  I perform a lot of larger volume fat transfers using lidocaine with epinephrine.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of breast lifts each year. Look for great reviews and great before and after pictures.

Fat transfer to breasts

I always advise my patients to perform the fat transfer to the breasts separate from the lift to avoid compromising blood flow for the tranfer. You may be more comfortable doing both procedures under general anesthesia, at least three months apart. However, fat transfer can also be done under local anesthesia. The drugs used during general anesthesia are short acting and can be safely given three months apart.  Fat transfer done as the first procedure will have less scarring to deal with in the breast and perhaps provide more success. I do recommend you see a board certified plastic surgeon who does fat transfer to breasts,

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon