Fat Graft Survival on Breasts: General Anesthesia Together with a Breast Lift VS. Local Anesthesia Separately Later/before?

For survival of the fat cells, would it be better to do a breast lift and a fat transfer to the breasts (harvest from stomach and arms) in one operation or two? A breast lift is under general anesthesia, and a fat transfer on it's own can be local anesthesia? Would like to avoid going under twice. I've heard that the local anesthesia stuff could be bad for the fat cells, so general might be better? But done all together, with trauma to the area, they might not make new blood vessels as well?

+1
     Breast lift and fat transfer may need to be separated for optimal fat take.  I perform a lot of larger volume fat transfers using lidocaine with epinephrine.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of breast lifts each year. Look for great reviews and great before and after pictures.

Fat transfer to breasts

+1

I always advise my patients to perform the fat transfer to the breasts separate from the lift to avoid compromising blood flow for the tranfer. You may be more comfortable doing both procedures under general anesthesia, at least three months apart. However, fat transfer can also be done under local anesthesia. The drugs used during general anesthesia are short acting and can be safely given three months apart.  Fat transfer done as the first procedure will have less scarring to deal with in the breast and perhaps provide more success. I do recommend you see a board certified plastic surgeon who does fat transfer to breasts,

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon