Fat Graft Removal on Lower Eyelid and Cheek

I had fat graft done for minor dark circles a week ago. Doctor injected most fat on cheeks instead. He said 60 to 70 % will survive (new technology). He agreed to remove it after 4 weeks if I’m still unhappy, using the same instrument to inject fat in and suck the fat out. Is this possible? They are hard like gristle. He said it’s easy because fat doesn’t attached to tissues for 3 months. Is this true? Should I do this sooner? Is there a risk of getting lumps from scar tissues?

Fat grafts for facial rejuvenation

+1

fortunately your doctor didn't do much fat, if at all, in the loewr eyelids as it may not be easy to remove from that area, and the process could cause much bruising and swellig temporarily, as well as other risks.  Fat grafting to the cheeks is worth waiting for the results as a considerable amount does shrink as not all cells do live in the new area.

+1

Fat grafts to lower eyelids have higher survival rate and therefore, it is prudent to be conservative. Some fat will not survive in the cheeks and after the healing is complete and swelling has reduced, there be less prominance of the cheeks. It is traumatic to remove injected fat in certain areas.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Removal of Fat 4 Weeks After Grafting to the Eye Region

+1

To be honest, I would not consider fat removal at this (early) point in time. I would ask your surgeon about his experience with fat removal. If done well, there should be no reason to remove the precious fat. Rather, 10-15% of patients even want a little more after 9-12 months.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lumps after fat graft?

+1

Of course there are risks of lumps after fat grafts.  And of course different doctors have different opinions regarding the best use of this inovative procedure.  That said, I think the periorbital area to treat under eye hollows is less forgiving than other facial units.  I think some of the fat and lumpiness will resolve on its own.  On the other hand, I don't agree that it will be as easy to remove as your doctor implies.  But chances are it will get better with time.  Vocalize your concers (nicely) to your surgeon and trust in his judgment.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fat Graft Removal

+1

Without before and after pictures, it is impossible to give you specific advice.  In general, it is very difficult to remove fat graft without causing trauma to the remaining tissue. Also, there is no "new technology" that you are referring to.  There are various techniques, but there has been no revolutionary discovery that only your doctor knows.  At this point, you need to make sure that you trust the judgement of your surgeon and feel comfortable with your care.  Otherwise, you should seek a second opinion.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Fat grafting reversal timing and outcomes

+1

To totally remove all of what was done with fat grafting is not an easy task. Some of it can be removed but when you do this you are doing damage as well. The outcomes can be variable in my experience. The key is getting it right as much as possible the first time. I don't think that it is quite as important whether the fat sticks or not. This is something that is not proven any way.  I think it takes about 3 months to know what is going to stay and what is going to not be there for the long run and this is what your doctor might be trying to convey to you. So I would give it at least 3 months before considering any removal.  Also I would progress with steroid injections > mesotherapy > micro liposuction (that is what your doctor is suggesting) > then directly cutting out the fat.  Start with the least invasive way first before doing more aggressive approaches!

Thanks for reading, Dr Young

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon