Fat Distribution in Strange Places After Liposuction Despite Losing Weight? (photo)

My PS removed a very tiny amount (200 cc's) from my lower abs. Since then (4 months ago) I have noticed something puzzling. When I started wearing jeans again I noticed that my very upper thighs were rubbing together, and this upper thigh fat has crept around (but not completely) to the posterior thigh creating two very slight creases. Not a true "banana roll", but still very annoying. I don't understand - I actually lost 5 pounds and have kept it off by running. Is this fat redistribution?

Liposuction 4 months ago

+2

Did you have a lot of pubic and leg swelling after liposuction?  Sometimes the swelling takes up to 6 or 12 months to completely resolve.  I know of no evidence in the literature that fat redistributes after liposuction in the absence of weight loss.

Puzzling change after liposuction

+2

Liposuction of your abdomen is not related to the contours you are describing.  

I suggest having your PS take a look.  Good luck!

Andrew Stewart, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Fat in new areas?

+2

If you have not gained weight, then it is highly doubful that this area of fat you are seeing is new.  Maybe you just did not notice it before?

Fat re-distribution after liposuction.

+1

Thanks for your question.  The only way that a person actually make new "fat cells" is if they gain weight.  Fat cells can become larger or smaller as someone gains or loses. weight.  But only people who become obese will actually make new ones.  The distribution in your photo could be a temporary change that should resolve with more time.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon